PDA

View Full Version : My first post

William Littler
01-11-2008, 10:02 PM
This was taken at the same time as the Mr Morris was conducting his instructional tour at the Venice Rookery in late December.

Larry Daniel
01-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Very nice catch. I just wish you had not been quite so close, cropped it so closely or had a slightly shorter lens. It would have been great to not have parts of the birds missing IMO.

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi William !!! I like the interaction and basic exposure Raised neck feathers add to the image Would love to see more room all around We try to keep from cutting body parts and then giving a little more room There is something funny going on with the Brazilian Peppers to the left? Hope to see you at the rookery when the chicks hatch !!!!

George DeCamp
01-12-2008, 09:43 AM
William, welcome!

Very nice interaction!! Could use some details on how you shot this, lens, fstop, shutter speed, camera, etc.

William Littler
01-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Thank you for your appreciation. I wondered about the shooting data, I had assumed that it would show up in the EXIF.

The camera is a D3 with a 200-400 Zoom and X1.7 Extender. The actual focal length wasis 650mm and it was at F6.7 at 1/1250 second and ISO 720. I fnd that my shots taken during the visit from your members, were too red from using auto white balnce and I am now using a pre set white balance to correct that, I gather tha Nikon are prone to redness.

I saw that there were some respondents that remarked on the cutting off on the RHS, this was somewhat deliberate, to get away from just 3X2 format and draw attention to the birds animation.

The blurring on the LHS has me flummoxed, I saw that atnd thought that it could not possibly be motion blur at that speed.

The blurring did not shot up in similar shots.

William Littler
01-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Yes you are quite right, in hindsight it is too cropped. There were other birds just below and I could not get too low without them intruding also into the picture.

William Littler
01-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes, the raised feathers are creating the drama. As others have pointed out, it is too tightly cropped and part of that was deliberate to accent the birds motion.

I do hope to meet with you all at the Rookery in due course, I am shooting with a D3 and 200 400 VR and usually a 1.7 extender. These shots were at 1/1250 sec at F6.7 ISO 720. The white balance is preset since I found from my first visit that the camera's auto white balance created too much pink.

I realise that I should shoot raw, but I find personally the raw convertors to be too slow to use.

William Littler
01-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Noted, with pleasure! I realised after the fact that I was too zoomed in, this was at 650mm on my D3, As you know these antics take place during a short interval and there was no time to pull out a bit.