PDA

View Full Version : Tawny Owl

Krijn Trimbos
08-13-2008, 01:09 PM
2 days ago I was driving around with Jasper, who you all know to be an excellent and with time lucky photographer. Unfortunately for him he was driving this day, which made me the lucky one that day, as he gave me the oppertunity to get my first shot of a Tawny Owl that flew of the minute it saw Jasper reaching for his gear, Thanks a lot buddy for alowing me to shoot first :D

Canon EOS 30D 1/500 f4.5
ISO 400
Canon 300mm f2.8 + 2x Converter
RAW
Ford Ka (with Jasper)

Doug Brown
08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Congrats on a fine image Krijn! Like the pose and perch, although I might remove the bright branch on the right of the perch. Feels a little tight up top. Nice of Jasper to let you get the shot. Thanks for posting!

Sudhir Shivaram
08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
ah! that's a pleasent surprise to see two owl images in a row. Very lucky to get an owl in the open on a great perch like this. This is another cute owl well captured. Though a vertical composition may have been better, you have made good use of the space on the left with the branch bending down. I have been staring at this image for a long time and have liked the image very much. Very cute indeed!!!

Rgds,
Sudhir

Sebastian Erras
08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Hoi Krijn,

what a shot.
I love the the colorful habitat!!!!
Composition is also good, I'm not sure if a vertical would have been better here.

Sebastian

Axel Hildebrandt
08-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Great setting, pose, details, light and BG. Maybe a bit tight in the frame and I agree that it would work as vertical crop, too. I don't find the OOF blades of grass in the foreground distracting.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
I love this as presented - do not think a vertical crop would be as effective - I love the use of space here and the BG is stunning.
Regards,
Nicki

Raymond Barlow
08-13-2008, 04:30 PM
horizontal all the way for me... this shot is killer.. one of the best I have seen in BPN since I joined in... congrats.

Beth Goffe
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes, another beautiful owl. I like everything about the environmental elements particularly the perch and the colors. The image could use a little space top and bottom but it's very nice!

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-13-2008, 05:41 PM
What a sweet pose you captured in this image and I love the composition that includes the environment. Fine work Krijn !!!

Maxis Gamez
08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Very sharp and with a lovely composition. Love the habitat!

Daniel Cadieux
08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
For me just a bit more space bellow...but definitely keep it a horizontal (although a vertical version would also look good for other purposes). Congrats on a fine image!!

Manos Papadomanolakis
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Sweet image,I Iike the colors,details and pose!

Jasper Doest
08-14-2008, 03:34 AM
Well....after you getting this shot (and me missing it) I really needed that beer last night....perhaps I should reach for the bottle more often, as that will make you have to drive next time ;-) I still can't believe we ran into this one while just driving around....IMO a great effort, especially since it took off seconds after this.

Arthur Morris
08-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Love the slightly cocked head, the soft light, the sharpness, and the BKGR. If it had stayed another minute, a VERT capture would have been stronger as it would have given the bird more room above AND more importantly, would have let us see more of the cool stuff hanging from the branch (stuff that has been cut off with a HORZ capture. What would be lost with an ORIG VERT capture? The part of the branch to our left, the boring part <smile>

All in all a most wonderful image.

Glenn Bartley
08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Excellent image. I think you'll be driving next time...

Alroy Willis
08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Super shot. Sharp, great BG and colour.Love the perch and comp. Well done