PDA

View Full Version : Great Crested Flycatcher with Cicada

Lana Hays
08-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Today marks a milestone for me (no, not a large number of posts) ....I start my 36th year of teaching high school biology. I'd prefer heading out to photograph shorebirds......but you gotta do what you gotta do! This was photographed in Pennsylvania earlier this summer using a blind. The cicadas were at the peak with a deafening roar and provided great meals for the young in the nest below. They fledged a few days later. I was just setting up when this one landed with the fluttering cicada. I really wasn't set up yet.....still had ISO 200 from a sunny morning. I adjusted my exposure and photographed as there was no time to change the ISO or go vertical. I then spent 2 hours in the blind.......never had another chance at getting them with a cicada.

Canon 1DMkIIN, 500mm, tripod, blind
ISO 200, f/ 7.1, ss 1/40, manual exposure
cropped from a horizontal, USM, levels

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Wonderful capture Lana with superb detail and eye contact. Awesome BG and of course the cicada puts it over the top for me. Congratulations Lana. Thirty six years is a long time and I know your students were very fortunate to have had you for their biology teacher. Sure wish I had been so fortunate < smile > Great to see your posts as always.

Daniel Cadieux
08-13-2008, 06:56 AM
I love Great-crested Flycatchers...they are entertaining to watch and listen! Excellent image of this species, and of course the cicada is pretty cool :-)

Wow, 36 years in the same career CONGRATS!...this coming from a 33 year-old ;-)

Axel Hildebrandt
08-13-2008, 08:16 AM
Great capture both of you. Sharpness looks great despite the low shutter speed. I also like the soft light and BG and might give it a bit more room at the left. Good luck with the new school year!

Doug Brown
08-13-2008, 08:20 AM
It's a wonderful image Lana! Sharpness is excellent, particularly in light of the shutter speed. I might try to selectively sharpen the meal. Great eye contact, and the cicada really makes the image for me.

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Really nice image, details, light, BG and pose super.

Fabs Forns
08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
My friend, I'd like to see how that bird ate "the whole thing". He'd probably go get some Alka Seltzer afterward.

Incredible capture and beautiful as presented.

Daniel Cadieux
08-13-2008, 10:59 AM
My friend, I'd like to see how that bird ate "the whole thing". He'd probably go get some Alka Seltzer afterward.

Especially if it was fed to one of the nestlings!!:eek:

Stephen Stephen
08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Wonderful post Lana! Eye contact, sharpness, cicada and BG all go together beautifully.

Glenda Simmons
08-13-2008, 09:00 PM
It's so cool how the cicada covers his entire beak, so perfectly! There's nothing to not like about this image. The only thing I could fault you on would be disecting a bird in your class. lol

Mike Lentz
08-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Top notch work, Lana! The bug is a BIG bonus!

Manos Papadomanolakis
08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I really like the composition,eye contact,timing and bg!!!

Johnny Bravo
08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Stunning shot, what a moment and my, my, my, what light!!

Beautifully done.

Grace Scalzo
08-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Great instincts, Lana to react so quickly to this opportunity. The bird without the bug would have been fine, with it, you've got a killer image.