PDA

View Full Version : A gang in Maine

carole wiley
08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I am always trying to get as close as possible to birds, usually it isn't close enough. When I went to Machias Seal Island I had a number of specific shots in mind that I wanted to try to get. I always have to remind myself to pull back for the bigger picture. This is my attempt to do something other than "as close as possible"

Amy DeStefanis
08-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Someone said "Hey - let's all meet on the flat rock. Yeah - that's the one". And now they're waiting around for something to happen. These are such incredible birds! We are going to get some info on going up there next summer.

I like the image. The flat surface of the rock looks a little "hot" to me, though. It distracts a little from the birds for me.

Amy D.

Desmond Chan
08-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Other than the rock, I think the background is another issue here: it's too busy for at least some of the birds. I would try blurring it, darken it and destaurate the colors of it a bit plus sharpening the birds to see if it could improve the image (may not be easy). Perhaps some part of the top could be cropped, too.

I'll let the real HAP to deal with any HA problems ;)

Lance Peters
08-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Hi Carole - agree with Desmond's points - but think you would probably classify this as a habitat shot and thus the rocks and the BG don't bother me in that respect.

Just noticed - light source is from behind the birds (backlit) :)

Do post your tech details as it helps everyone see whats going on. The rock does look hot - however histogram shows nothing blown. Feels like it needs a bit of CCW rotation.

Heres my take .. (CCW rotation and a bit of a crop)

:)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-13-2008, 02:24 AM
Hi Carole,
Agree with the above points and Lance's repost is better but I do wonder whether it might be worth cloning out the poo stains on the rock...:eek: :eek: I do find the rock a little too bright.
Regards,
Nicki

Alfred Forns
08-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Glad you are trying for the larger picture Carole I find them more challenging that in your face types !!! You have more birds to deal with plus surrounding environment which will play a larger part !!

Here the birds position, head angles, overlaps all come into play. The one bird that bothers me a bit is the one on the left (easily evicted if you want) You can also go in and lighten the faces a bit. In my repost I just evicted the one bird, did a curves adj and minor work on the shadows up front

............................Nicki the stains are just ambiance !!!! :)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-13-2008, 09:12 AM
:D............of course - silly me................:D

Nonda Surratt
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I KNEW the bird poop ambiance would come up:D Must have poop in images.

Carol, Like what you were trying for and like the re-posts.

Katie Rupp
08-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Carole, I agree that the bigger picture is harder than the single bird and you have a winner here, especially with Al's suggestions and repost. Next year I hope to visit Machias Seal Island, so many good photos from there have been posted here, recently.

Amy DeStefanis
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
I kinda like the little guy looking off to the left It looks like a bunch o' folks standing around at a cocktail party or something.

I took the top of the rocks down a peg in this version, added contrast to the rest, and sharpened..... oh - and I cropped a bit off the top right.

Amy D.

carole wiley
08-13-2008, 08:16 PM
thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. My PS skills are soooo lacking. It is amazing what some of you can do. I will work on it.

Oscar Zangroniz
08-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Carole. I like it as presented. All other points have been covered by the experts.
Regards,