PDA

View Full Version : GBH silhouette

Daniel Cadieux
08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Taken a couple of minutes after the Mallard that I posted previously. The mist quickly burned up, and the wind picked up thus starting to ripple the water surface of the pond. What I really liked about the scene was the transition from orange to blue in the water...I positioned myself specifically to capture this in the BG and waited for a perfect profile head angle from the Great-blue Heron. I would have liked to move even more to my right, but this would have introduced some distracting elements that are just out of the frame. What may look like sharpening halos is actually light seeping through from behind the heron.

Canon 40D + 100-400L @300mm, aperture priority, 1/2500s., f/7.1, ISO 500, -0.3 EC, handheld.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_Great-blueHeron_7225-01.jpg

Stephen Stephen
08-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Very nice Dan. I like the golden glow outlining much of the bird. Is this the bird from my end of town?

Axel Hildebrandt
08-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Quite an unusual silhouette image. I like it and am wondering if a lower angle would have helped or not.

Sudhir Shivaram
08-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Daniel,

This is a nice capture. The rim light effect around the neck has been portrayed very well. Yes, the colour transition in the background and the ripples in the water adds to the impact of this image. I feel the bird is too close to the left side of the frame. I would have liked to see a little space there. I can still see some patchy details in the body. probably under exposing by another 1/3 or 1/2 stop may have helped.

Rgds,
Sudhir

Fabs Forns
08-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Very high impact image, I like a lot, probably max the blacks and a bit more at bottom. Left side OK with me.

Daniel Cadieux
08-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Very nice Dan. I like the golden glow outlining much of the bird. Is this the bird from my end of town?

Stephen, that is indeed the one. He's been back for about 2 weeks now.

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Very striking image Daniel and the lighting is beautiful as well as the composition. Very artsy looking image and The mood you captured in this image is awesome.

Manos Papadomanolakis
08-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I really like the light and composition!