PDA

View Full Version : Coot in Mud Puddle

Nonda Surratt
01-11-2008, 08:26 PM
This looks like a good place to be:) Have never down sized for the web, followed the tutorial. I really like Coots for some reason.
30D, 1/400 AV +2/3 ISO 400, f9, 300f2.8L+2xtc car window+ bean bag.
Appreciate your time. Question right off, I thought I had it sized to 125kb and here it is showing 75.5?

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi Nonda Love this image Great feel I like the careful coot placement and pose Light was really good and shows in the feather detail Some might object to the grass on the body but I don't think it detracts at all The only thing that catches my eye is the large dark mass just below the bank? btw.... love the signature !!!

George DeCamp
01-12-2008, 09:50 AM
A very nice scene, I like this and think you did well here. Details on the bird are good and the whites are good also, You might need a touch more USM in photoshop, the eye looks a little soft.

Did you save for web in photoshop?

Nonda Surratt
01-12-2008, 10:34 AM
George yes I did use CS2 to size for the web, first time, so I probably missed something? Yes the eye does look soft, selective sharpening for that?

Al the dark bit was in the RAW file, from what I have no clue, probably should try and clone that out? Or other suggestions?

Thank you both. This photo was sort of a milestone for me, it was when the 'light' light bulb finally wet off, only took a year. Won't even go into my lack of post processing skills:o

Christof Ruch
01-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Nonda, nice composition, I like it! And great detail in the black feathers, well done!

The image really is 75KB, and the upload doesn't resize but barks and denies if the image would have been to big (limit is 145.5KB - I noticed trying to upload 145.6 KB :-(, so you should look and find where in your workflow you lost half the bits.

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi Nonda When you resize (going small) to post use bicubic sharper The option will be in the image size window Will give you better results

On the size if you save for web and specify 145 kb the image should come out very close that that size btw Artie uses 45 kb for his bulletin images and they look luscious !!!!!

Nonda Surratt
01-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks much! Been playing around wit the resize thing and think I have it sorted out.

Yes Art's bulletin images are wonderful!

Howard Burkert
01-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Nonda,Nice first post! I agree with all the above. I am not sure if I should be promoting this on the forum, but I guess someone will tell me so, if not. Rather than clone anything out you should check into Robert O'Tooles APTATS CD. What a awesome wealth of Photoshop information. Artie Morris sells it on his web site. Check it out!! Thanks for sharing your image.
Best,
Howard.

Nonda Surratt
01-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Howard,

Been looking at the O'Tooles CD for a while, you nudged me just enough..Tis purchased:D

Gus Cobos
03-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Nonda,
Very nice image I like it...:)