PDA

View Full Version : Proud Pratincole

Dean Ingwersen
01-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi all,

First post, and loving the forum (congrats to all involved). This shot is of an Australian Pratincole...any comments welcome. My main query relates to the darker areas of the bird - are they too dark? :cool:

Taken with Canon 20D handheld, 100-400L IS @330mm, 1/800, f/7.1, ISO200

Nonda Surratt
01-11-2008, 09:29 PM
The bird, pose and the over all colors are very nice. The dark areas of the bird don't bother me, meaning to me they don't distract from the image.:)

Nicole Brooker
01-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Nice shot of a bird I haven't seen yet. Sharp and the background is nice. The dark areas of the bird don't bother me either but you could always use the shadow/highlight tool if you wanted to brighten the dark areas a bit more.

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-12-2008, 10:10 AM
i like the photo a lot
soft BG colors, nice head turn , sharp details

although this is also how i might have framed the bird, a question to the "experts" would be: is it better to place the bird more off-centre and if so, to which side would you crop and why?

Dean Ingwersen
01-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Thank you all for your comments..it has already had a slight shadows/highlights adjustment made (I was reluctant to push it much further for fear of noise).

I have another query for any contributors or moderators...why would the colours of the image I posted be washed out? The image on my screen is much richer and has good saturation, while the image on the post is quite flat. Any thoughts anybody??

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Is your monitor calibrated?
what color space are you working in and what space did you post in?

Dean Ingwersen
01-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I've done a quickie calibration without a proper calibration sensor and software and it's worked well so far (i.e. with emailing, printing, etc). And default colour space is sRGB IEC61966-2.1, then I convert to Adobe RGB (1998) when I've 'finished' with an image. Any thoughts? Thanks heaps.

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-12-2008, 02:49 PM
the experts can correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you're doing it backwards
best to open your RAW image into Adobe RGB , process in Photoshop and then one of the last steps for posting on the web is to convert into sRGB . If you captured in JPEG using sRBG, leave it in sRGB to post onto the web. You should not convert into Adobe for posting to the web.

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-12-2008, 02:53 PM
you should also look at the thread in photo techniques from a couple of days ago
<!-- http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/fusion/misc/paperclip.gif (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/#)--> Poll: sRGB or RGB in your camera? (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197)
<!---->
i've always used RGB as my camera setting , hence opened into Adobe RBG, but may be changing based upon above thread

Dean Ingwersen
01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks Peter, will do. :-)

Dean Ingwersen
01-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Sorry Peter, missed your first post there. Thanks very much...I'll give that a go with another posting and see how I go. Cheers.

Dean Ingwersen
01-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks Peter - you were spot on. As soon as I changed the final colour space to sRGB = problem solved (I think anyway)! This is what the image should have looked like ;)