PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise

Sabyasachi Patra
08-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Am not much of an landscape artist. I wanted to see the sunrise and was walking along the coast. The sun was peeping through the clouds and I had to quickly find a spot to shoot. I didn't have my tripod, so pressed the camera firmly on the rocks. Would love your comments.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 28-135 IS, ISO200, f11, 1/200. full frame.

Alan Melle
08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
For me this is just too dark as presented. Brightening it up quite a bit would really improve the presentation. A nicely composed image with good detail in the sky and water when it is brightened.

Robert Amoruso
08-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Sabyasachi,

I would have liked to see the sun a bit closer to a RoT crop but that would require a tighter crop to achieve (small amount for right side and just above the sun's lowest reflection in the FG).

I would agree with Alan that lightening it up would improve the presentation. Use a curves adjustment to do this.

Nice to see you here in the Landscape Forum.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi Robert,
Cropped as suggested and little bit of work on the curves.

I have been trying my hand at different types of photography as I have been straightjacketed as Tiger photographer. I hope these "excursions" into different types will help me in pushing my boundaries.

Thanks,
Sabyasachi

Robert Amoruso
08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Sabyasachi,

I like the crop but would open it up more in curves.

No straight jackets here, you are welcome anytime.

Roman Kurywczak
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi Sabyasachi,
I might be tempted to lighten more as Robert suggested and crop even a bit more to put the sun in the ROT position. It looks like there are pilings??? in the water.......so I may lighten it so they were a little more visible. I see you used the 28-135 lens......... In the field I would have recomposed quickly and explored both different focal lenght compositions and even try verts .....covering as many different comps as possible as the sky/sun/ & clouds are wonderful. The water......not as exciting.....so working a subject.......especially one you like.......is crucial to landscape succes. I've posted a few possibilities I see just to give you an example........and there are many more. The red represents where I may crop your presentation. The green a very strong vert area.......the blue a horizontal w/o as much of the sun rays on the water......and yellow as another strong vert a bit closer. I would try to move myself around to place the sun in the ROT position as often as possible.
I'm glad to see you branching out and look forward to seeing more of your images.

Dave Mills
08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Nice presentation of different crops Roman