PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron

Helen Hauver
01-11-2008, 07:18 PM
This photo was taken at Venice Rookery, Venice, FL. The lighting was poor and I was not using a tripod - this was taken some time ago, when I was still very much a novice - even more than today. I was struck by the birds and the posture of the heron. I know I was shooting in AV mode, but don't know the specifics of anything else. Do the best you can with what I have. I know now that I will have to much more careful keeping the shooting info available.

Nonda Surratt
01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Helen I don't think there is one thing wrong with AV mode:-) Your photo is certainly an interesting composition and the Heron's pose is nice. I'll leave the more meaty critique to the more experienced folks.

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Hi Helen Av mode is fine here In conditions like you have there overexposing is important If you meter and add 1 2/3 stops or more the bird will be fine and sky blown out which is fine also Don't worry about detail in the sky it will all be white but the birds looking good

I like the interaction Would have been great having the rear bird off to the side so it would not merge A little room to the right would also have been nice Glad you looked around for other photo opportunities btw in the morning we see Great Horned Owls on that perch !!!!

Judd Patterson
01-13-2008, 08:48 PM
The grackles do add to this image and create something very unique. The Great Blue Heron is also looking good, but does lack some of the finer feather details. A tough situation to shoot in, but you came away with a nice image.

Helen Hauver
01-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Thank you for your kind words. Helen