PDA

View Full Version : Egret

Philip Lombard
08-12-2008, 05:16 AM
I went to Edwin B Forsythe wildlie to shoot. There must have been a couple hundered Egrets but all to far away. So when this guy landed I got excited, but he gave me a hard time. He kept moving from left to right and focusing was a problem. The lighting left a little to be desired at 9 am but you take what you get.

ISO 400
1/1250@ F9
Ev mode auto white
500mm with 1.4 ext

Keith Carver
08-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Nice position of the bird in the frame. Bill and lores need to be a little brighter, maybe judicious use of S/H with that harsh 9 a.m. light. Also a little selective sharpening on the head, especially the eye. Would also wish for less DOF, maybe shoot at F5.6 with central sensor on bird's eye, so wave background is softer.

Doug Brown
08-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Phillip! You make a good point about the light in the photo. I would like to see a bit more of a head turn, and I think a lower angle would have helped here. Thanks for posting!

Philip Lombard
08-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Guys thanks for the comments, I take the advise and make the corrections. Some of the problems you mentioned are in the shooting area. Edwin B Forysthe Wildlife is set up so almost all the time you are shooting down at the subject and the sun is strong all the time. There must be 150 Egrets and if you are lucky you get to shoot at 2. As far as the F9, his movement was so fast, I needed the dof. Thanks for the comments.