PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, open to titles

Paul Marcellini
08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Well I actually got out shooting last night. Sorry I haven't been around much, work and visitors have taken all my time. I sacrificed greatly for this shot, The mosquitoes were nearly unbearable, and that's with long pants, rainjacket, with the hood cinched, and 25% deet on left-over skin. I still managed to get massacred. (They can bite you through corduroys and underwear in case you were wondering.)

Anyways, a horizontal shot for a change. I've been thinking of cropping up under the grassline to make a pano. Thoughts?

Thanks for looking,
Paul

20d 10-22@10mm f13 iso200 2s + 4s no gnd(Sorry Roman, still haven't replaced mine)

Kaushik Balakumar
08-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Beautiful lighting. Lovely colours in the sky. Loved those reflections.
I guess, I would opt for a crop in the bottom too. Apart from a pano crop, I was thinking as to why not remove some portions off left too - it does not offer much to the image. (A personal preference though).

Kaushik Balakumar
08-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Just tried out some cropping & as you opined, I felt that a pano look might look better (to me that is...).
The 'horizon' line runs close to middle of the frame but I could not place it off-center since that wud clip off some elements either on top or bottom.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3003/2755568791_5b9c17a178_o.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
08-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey Paul,
Since the ND filter is gone.........you have done a very nice job combininb the 2 exposures. I would not crop as high as you were considering because I find the FG rocks on the right extremely strong in the image and would not want to lose any of them. I went with a crop off the bottom and just enough off the top to get rid of the cloud edge near the top of the frame........but you could just as easily cloned it out.........or get rid of it when you frame it. I decided not to take any off the left..........even though with a proportional crop with the bottom.......it didn't look bad......but I changed the emphasis from the grassses to the water.......and since it's the Glades........I went with keeping the grass line. Not very often do we get strong leading lines from every corner.....but with or without crop.........this is just super!
How about.....flood waters at the lake?.........After the flood.........Passing flood waters........hey! Now I see why you get stuck! OK......After the storm #100.:D

Sabyasachi Patra
08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
I would agree with Roman's version. Beautiful image. Lovely colours.

Robert Amoruso
08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I like Kaushik's tight crop as well as Roman's loser one. Only thing I would do on Kaushik's crop is add a bit on the left to get the bush away from the edge.

Lovely light and colors. The leading lines into the image for the water left and right and the grass and I guess that is pond algae in the middle work so well together. It sweeps you into the image.

Paul Marcellini
08-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys. Roman's crop is pretty much what I was think, I guess I should have just put up my own crop too. Anyways, I wanted to keep the left, because of the sweeping openness.

Also thanks for all the titles Roman. What's your cut from sales? =)

THe yellow was really throwing off my processing. I had trouble making a lot of the ones form this night look right. It is limestone that is covered in periphyton, which is real yellow. Then add in weird color casts from diffused light, and those casts reflecting off the lake, and you get confusion. Ohh and the periphyton is real slippery, almost dunked the camera a few times. =)

Anyways, thanks again guys.

Robert Amoruso
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Titles? I forgot that one. I always make it simple like Alligator No. 1 or Ocean Abstract No. 2.

Dave Mills
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Just a strong and beautiful image. I like the image cropped on the left with the bush anchoring. A little more room on the top allowing for a bit more space between the dominant cloud and the backround cloud wouldn't hurt.

Richard Waas
08-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Paul, I would guess that your photo could be considered a masterpiece when you can crop it various ways and the subject shines through every time. Did you get the required blood transfusion after the hoards of mosquitoes ate you? Being a Miami native I Know what thats all about. My vote for name is "After the Storm" Looks what is left after a storm like we had yesterday afternoon. Congrats!! Richard Waas

Noel Carboni
08-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Pastel colors abound! Maybe something like "Evening at Pastel Bog".

Roman's RIGHT on with his crop!

-Noel

Judd Patterson
08-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Gotta love this image. Especially with Roman's crop we can really get lost in those cloud textures and the moody light. The submerged rocks are really cool looking too. Nice work and worth a few mosquito bites!

Gus Cobos
08-20-2008, 08:00 PM
I like your composition. The colors are fantastic. I like the pano that Roman posted...:cool: