PDA

View Full Version : Strange Markings for an Egret

Kenn Jolemore
08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Other than the markings this bird is exactly the same as the Egrets it was fishing with when I saw it but a bit more skittish. Sorry I do not have a better photograph of it to put up . I checked the references I have access to but could not come up with an explanation or likeness anywhere.
Kenn

Daniel Cadieux
08-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Hi Kenn, I'm assuming you photographed this bird in the south-eastern U.S. This is a juvenile Tricolored Heron.

Kenn Jolemore
08-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks Daniel. I live in Norfolk Virginia where Tricolored Herons are a bit unusual. I have photographed only 2 in the years I have been wandering around the rivers lakes and swamps of Southside Va. and never seen a youngster till now. Thanks for the identification.
Kenn

WIlliam Maroldo
08-13-2008, 09:20 PM
I always thought the juveniles colors more interesting than the adults. The odd part for me, after seeing many, is that the juveniles seem to be the roughly the same size as the adults. Of course I've never seen two right next to each other for comparison. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen two tricolored hanging out together. I don't think these birds like each other. regards~Bill

Judd Patterson
08-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Cool juvenile Tricolored Heron. Along the coast of Virginia this specie is not unusual...but you are at the northern end of its breeding range.