PDA

View Full Version : Jpeg Problem ? Is RAW the solution ?

Ian McHenry
01-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I mostly shoot on Jpeg but occasionally in Jpeg plus RAW.
Love to take shots of Kingfishers in flight but as can be seen from attached there is severe colour distortion round the bird's head.
This was a substantial crop from the original.
I think this may be due to Jpeg compression.
Would RAW have prevented this?
Detail: Pentax K10D with Sigma 400 AF.
400 ISO AP 1/2000 F5.6
Mid morning contre jour bright sunlight.
With Thanks: Ian McHenry

Ian McHenry
01-11-2008, 06:57 PM
In anticipation here is the unedited image which has been resized only.
If anyone would like to work some wonders on this image they are most welcome !!
Ian McHenry

Axel Hildebrandt
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I would recommend to switch to RAW as soon as possible. It gives you so much more leeway in postprocessing that even images that are wrongly exposed can often be salvaged, and the color temperature can be easily changed, too.

In this case it looks like chromatic aberration, which can be fixed in good RAW converters, too.

Maxis Gamez
01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't use anything else but RAW. If you planing to do huge crops, perhaps a 21 mega pixels camera would be your best choice, as you will need all the details as possible and yes! you lose so much details with jpegs.

Arthur Morris
01-11-2008, 07:30 PM
RAW or not you will need to get very much closer to your subjects and get a longer lens..... Digital is amazing but not that amazing <smile>

later and love, artie

Len Maltese
01-11-2008, 08:01 PM
RAW or not you will need to get very much closer to your subjects and get a longer lens..... Digital is amazing but not that amazing <smile>

later and love, artie

Ditto. Especially on a big crop as you have here.

</smile>

Ian McHenry
01-11-2008, 08:07 PM
LOL Artie.
Thanks Axel, Maxis and Artie.
I do try to get as close as possible !!!
Cheers: Ian McHenry

Arthur Morris
01-11-2008, 08:22 PM
The new one is way, way oversaturated, but you surely were closer.

later and love,

artie

Ian McHenry
01-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks Artie
Using Photoshop Elements 5 I have reduced saturation by 20 points and then reduced contrast.

Arthur Morris
01-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Better, but still very contrasty with lots of background noise.

later and love, artie

Ian McHenry
01-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Artie:
Really appreciate your pointers on this 2nd kingfisher shot.
I have reduced noise and slight contrast reduction.
I will continue to fine tune but this will be my last posted imageof this "Sacred Kingfisher".

Michael Lloyd
01-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Ditto shooting RAW. Once you start you won't go back to JPG. CS3 has some really nice tools in ACR. Also- as already noted, a longer lens is a huge plus however your first shot was taken with a 400mm lens. That bird was out there so I'm not sure that particular shot could be made well. B&H has a 1200mm f5.6 for sale in the used lens department :D but they want $100k for it. I think that I'll stick with my auxiliary zoom function a.k.a. my "foot zoom" :D

Ian McHenry
01-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks Michael.
Appreciate your commenting.