PDA

View Full Version : When loons lose breeding plumage?

Randy Stout
08-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Good morning all:

I was curious if folks in the norhtern states can chime in about when their common loons start to lose their breeding plumage? I am from Michigan, and we have a fair number of common loons. They generally leave in early October, and I believe they always molt before that, since they lose all their feathers at once and can't fly during the molt. When do they start the molt?

Any observations or thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Eleanor Kee Wellman
08-11-2008, 08:25 PM
I am in South Central Ontario and the loons we see here will have started to molt the feathers around their beaks by the end of August. In early November there are often quite a few on Lake Simcoe and they will have molted into winter basic plumage by then. They are quite variable, however.

Grady Weed
08-11-2008, 10:26 PM
We have loons here in Maine till ice starts to form on the ponds. They turn colors to drab about the end of October, they will match the fall leaves nicely. See my avatar.

Randy Stout
08-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks Eleanor and Grady:

Well, it sounds like I should still have good plumage on the loons this weekend, assuming the Michigan loons molt a bit later here because of the warmer weather?

I am realy excited. Was out at the local bird sanctuary shooting ducks this afternoon, just to sharpen up my skills. Was using a TC-17 for the first time, which takes a bit of getting used to. (D300, 500mm f/4 AFS I).

I am still trying to find the sweet spot with each TC, best mix of IQ and speed.

Thanks again.

Randy