PDA

View Full Version : My First Post :)

Tell Dickinson
08-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi, just joined today :) and this is my first post, this is a U.K. Little Grebe (aka Dabchick) from my local river. These are quite secretive/nervous birds normally but I have a pair locally that I can get reasonably close to although I am limited to a view point that is not as low as I would like. They do like to have their backs to the sun.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l192/Terry_S/bpn/little-grebe.jpg

Be as brutal as you like as the more constructive criticism I get the more I will learn :)

Canon 40D, 100-400@400, f5.6, 1/400, iso 400

Tell

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Sweet image in lovely lighting and a good pose too. You were able to capture two eyes in this image Tell !!! Love the reflection of the fish in the water. Thanks for sharing.

John Chardine
08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I think this is great Tell. Congratulations on your first post- you have a standard to keep up now! The water BG is marvelous- just like liquid gold. The fish, reflection and look back are excellent. The only thing I would say of a negative nature is that the rear end of the bird is rather like the back end of a bus (UK phrase, Tell will understand) and to my mind distracts from the main focus of the image. Overall though, super!

Doug Brown
08-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Welcome Tell! You've got to love the eye contact from both the bird and the fish. Even the reflection of the fish's eye looks good. John makes a good point about the relative prominence of the bird's posterior. Thanks for posting!

Daniel Cadieux
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Looks like there is a second fish sticking its head out of the water :-) !! From reading your post you understand about lower angles, so I will let it go this time ;-) The water looks very good, and you got a great look-back pose from the grebe. I might lihten the iris just a bit more to hopefully make the pupil more visible.

DustinFinn
08-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Getting the over the shoulder pose is really nice here. As mentioned - Love both eyes being sharp.

Joe Senzatimore
08-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Real sweet shot with a great BG. Both eyes sharp pulls it al together.

Glenn Bartley
08-11-2008, 09:23 AM
A nice first post. Cool water, great eye-contact and the fish is a bonus. Looking forward to more :)

Fabs Forns
08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Red carpet welcome to BPN, nice first post, with good points made above.

Keep them coming!

Sabyasachi Patra
08-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Welcome and a big congratulations on this image. Nice one. The previous posters have already pointed out the nits. I really like the reflection of the fish. Love the swirling water around the Dabchick. Look forward to more

Steve Canuel
08-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Welcome Tell,
Love the color and textur of the water and the reflection of the fish. Great pose on the bird as well. Whereabouts in Lincs. are you? My first assignment in the USAF was at RAF Nocton Hall. Very enjoyable 2 years.
Steve

Tell Dickinson
08-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks for all the comments, they are much appreciated :)

Welcome Tell,
Whereabouts in Lincs. are you? My first assignment in the USAF was at RAF Nocton Hall. Very enjoyable 2 years.
Steve

Hi Steve, well that is a coincidence because I am about 10 miles down the road from Nocton in Sleaford, which I am sure you will probably have visited :)

Tell