PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia flower

Chris Ober
08-10-2008, 11:57 AM
This was taken inside in a light tent on top of a sheet of black acrylic. Natural lighting only to test the effect.
30D, 10 sec @ f/25 with the 28-105mm at 43mm.

Ed Vatza
08-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi Chris,

I like the effect with the reflection in the acrylic. I also think the flower itself is handled real well. Thw whites look good and the detail is nice. I do think there is too much dead space at the top and bottom and the image could be cropped a bit. And this is a real nit but I find the black spot between the two petals on left side of the flower to be distracting, As my eye moves around the image, it keeps getting pulled back to that black spot. Maybe if the camera was moved slightly to the left???

Amy DeStefanis
08-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Chris,

I agree with Ed's comments about the space on the top and bottom, but I love the image - the black spot between the flower petals doesn't bother me as much, though. If you moved to the left, you'd be shooting straight into the bloom, and off-center seems better....

Amy D.

Julie Kenward
08-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Beautiful set up and exposure, Chris. I agree with the crop...there's just a bit too much on top and bottom. The rest is really lovely - especially that flash of green beneath the bloom!

Chris Ober
08-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks! I agree with the cropping and was going too but left as is just for options, this is full frame.

Amy DeStefanis
08-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey Chris, not to take anything away from the magnolia, but I have to ask - do you have a larger version of your avatar posted somewhere? It looks just hysterical.... :)