PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly in flight

Bruce Enns
08-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi, this is an image of a Paddle-tailed Darner that I took last year at a very small local wetland. With some better software tools, I went back and re-worked it and here is the result. This was taken with a Rebel XT and the Canon 100-400 IS L zoom with the Canon 1.4x II, so manually focused, 1/1000s f/13 ISO 800 -0.67 EC. It is cropped slightly and actually only shot at 385 mm (so I could have done without the extender).

Comments and critiques are welcome and very much appreciated.

Cheers!
Bruce

Julie Kenward
08-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Dang, Bruce! Wow! The only thing I can think of that would have made this even better would be a more head on view and a little more DOF on the wings. Love it like this, though!

Amy DeStefanis
08-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Bruce,

Wow, how in the world did you track him at 385mm??? Good job!

Amy D.

Ed Vatza
08-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Excellent image. The wing blur really captures motion to my mind. The fly is sharp and the background looks great. I've said it before but I am really impressed with what you d-fly guys do. Well done!

Bruce Enns
08-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi, thanks very much Jules, Amy and Ed. It's challenging to get crisp flight shots, but if the area in which they are flying is relatively small they tend to fly in patterns that can be exploited for photos. It takes a bit of luck as well of course.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Cheers!
Bruce

Anita Rakestraw
08-12-2008, 04:21 AM
Great job, Bruce!! Watching dragonflies, I've thought how difficult it must be to get one in flight. I've not even tried it. I do agree with Julie about the more head-on view making it better.

Tell Dickinson
08-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Love this how it is Bruce :) I know how hard it can be to get these in flight as I have failed more than once :)

Tell