08-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Sony A-700 Tamron 200-500mm@500mm ISO 250 1/1600sec f9 8-9-08 San Bernard NWR
Multiple birds/environmental shot
Seemed like an interesting composition.

comments and critique welcome regards~Bill

Steve Canuel
08-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Hi Bill,
This one seems to be suffering a bit from some conversion artifacts and softness. I like the pose of the center bird, the environmental elements, and the overall color. The merger of beak and head and the two cut off bystanders are a bit of a distraction though (kinda like people who wander into a photo you're trying to take of some natural wonder). Was this cropped or do you have one with the other two completely visible?
Steve

Doug Brown
08-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Composition is interesting William, but while the wing position of the center bird is OK, the head angle isn't. And for this photo to work, the bird in the middle has to be perfect. The birds on either side are fine. Also, the BG and FG can be toned down a bit while preserving the environment. Thanks for posting!

WIlliam Maroldo
08-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Steve: About the crop: The image was clipped as is at the bottom. cropped about 15% on other three sides. t. I shot this image yesterday, got home late, downloaded from camera, cropped, a little post processing, posted, Alright, now I have a little time to look at a little more closely. 1)the complexity of the background doesn't help. I could pretty easily blur it, and leave the dried reeds in the foreground and the birds 2) the crop: Even if I had all three birds in the picture, I'd probably want to crop the two, and were to do this? The center bird, the center of interest, seemed more important to have no clipping. 3) the beak position of the center bird: I noticed yesterday and thought it might be a problem. No solution comes to mind.4) image seems a little over saturated 4) now that you mention it it does seem somewhat soft. A round of USM would probably help. regards~Bill

WIlliam Maroldo
08-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Doug: (I guess you posted as I was writing my reply, and mine came after yours) about the head position of the center bird. Are you referring to the position of the beak, or the head angle? regards~Bill