PDA

View Full Version : Ubiquitous

Chris Starbuck
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
This plant seems to be everywhere! I've been itching to share this photo.:D New growth in summer is bright contrasting red & green, with an encore performance of bright red in fall. I made this image in early July, shortly before sunset on an overcast day (thus the long exposure).

Canon 20D, Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro, ISO 100, Av 5 sec at f/22, tripod

Alfred Forns
01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I like the careful framing Chris Lots of detail and excellent light I wish the one oof branch was not on back of that leaf !!!! Very fine image has a strong 3D effect Big Congrats !!!

Maxis Gamez
01-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Love this one Chris. I wish the bottom leaf was not there but you have a very nice image here!

Chris Starbuck
01-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Al & Maxis. I agree with your comments. In the circumstances it was a bit trickier than usual to clean up the background and frame edges -- the subject is poison ivy (an attractive bit in the middle of a sizable patch). I'm not real sensitive to it, but if I grab a stem I'll break out. I think I'll try this again next summer; plenty of specimens around.

Fabs Forns
01-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Chris,

In my opinion, the partial leaf on bottom left balances the composition, though needing a bit more room to breathe to the left. Agree on the stem to the right being on the way, but I wouldn't have touched either ;)

jimknoy
01-12-2008, 09:05 PM
I like the subject matter. Sometimes the everyday subjects, even the pesty ones, make great photgraphs.

Robert O'Toole
01-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Great colors and nice soft light. wouldnt have guessed it was P-ivy. Good job.

I would agree about the leaf near the LL edge. Quick mask or other method wont be easy but would be worth it. Too bad you, at least I never do, notice these details in the field.

Robert

Mike Moats
01-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey Chris, leaves are one of my favorite subjects. I think you did a great job on the comp, details and the light really make the hair stand out. I agree with the LLC leaf being somewhat distracting. If your not a purist, it can be a easy to fix in PS.