PDA

View Full Version : A Study in Scarlet

Ed Vatza
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
... with apologies to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for borrowing his title for the case that brought Sherlock Holmes to life.

I believe these are a variant of the Garden Coreopsis that filled the (Jacobsburg State Park - PA) meadow that I was in.

Image made using my Canon 30D and 300mm f/2.8L IS lens; tripod-mounted.

1/200 sec @ f/8; ISO 200; -1/3 EV

Amy DeStefanis
08-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Meadows of flowers - Imagine - Down here they call them swamps.... :)

Now I'll have to go look up my Sherlock Holmes. Thanks!

This is beautiful - the background is great, and I love the color contrast and composition of the flowers! They really pop off the background, and they draw you in.

Amy D.

Alfred Forns
08-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi Ed Tough making an image with five distinct flowers and you did well here.

Would try moving around for separation between them. Lots of possibilities here... one would be lining up just two flowers with the second being oof Sort of like the top two I think it would make a stronger image. Love that diffuse green bg !!!

Julie Kenward
08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Like the comp and love the BG. Lighting is very nice. Only thing I'd do is reduce the sharpening a bit. The flowers look a bit harsh compared to the ethereal BG you achieved. Make sense?

Ed Vatza
08-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Amy, Alfred, Julie,

Thank you all for the critiques and suggestions. First and foremost I am glad that you folks like the image. Al, there were very few of this all red variety among the yellow/red Coriopsis in the meadow so I had to work with the plant I had here. If I moved to the left, I could separate those two but at the expense of the smaller flower on the right. The exact opposite would happen if I moved to the right.

Julie, I did very little sharpening here. That 300 2.8 is razor sharp out of the camera. I could go back and just not do any at all but its not going to look very different.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for reminding me of Sherlock Holmes. One of my childhood favourites.

I like the clean bg here. But as said before, five flowers at different distances will always be tough for composition as well as dof. However, your composition is nice. Composing with fewer flowers would help bring all of them in focus.

Mike Moats
08-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Hey Ed, I like it alot. Great color contrast and lighting.

Gus Cobos
08-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Very nice composition Ed,
I like it very much; especially the color contrast between the reds and the pale green background. Big congrats...:cool: