PDA

View Full Version : Blue-winged Minla

Sabyasachi Patra
08-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I shot this Blue-winged Minla (Minla cyanouroptera) at Fraser's Hill in Malaysia few months back. There was lot of fog and visibility was about 3 to 4 feet. Light levels were very low. So shot this with Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS, ISO 640, f2.8 , 1/125, EV 2/3

This is about 25% crop. I chopped off a bit from the left and top. I would have loved to use the 2xII TC but light levels were abysmal. Would appreciate your comments.

Doug Brown
08-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi Sabyasachi! Sounds like challenging light; I'm sure the 400 f/2.8 comes in handy! I think the bird belongs on the right side of the image. Sharpness looks OK. I would also like to see a bit more of a head turn. Also, the tall blade of grass touching the tail feathers is a bit of a distraction. Thanks for posting!

Steve Canuel
08-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi Sabyasachi,
I agree with Doug's comments on the bird's position in the frame and the blade of grass through the tail (only because it's so sharp and the largest blade in the image). A handsome looking bird with good sharpness on that eye. You also did a good job of capturing the conditions as it really comes across in this picture. Maybe a vertical crop would work better here since the bird is looking up a bit and it could eliminate some of the empty space to the viewer's right.
Steve