PDA

View Full Version : Wild grass with a stinkbug

Lana Hays
08-09-2008, 10:05 AM
While the weather was too hot and stormy to go out for some macro photography, I gathered some wild grasses in the field next to my house and brought them in for some practice. I set this up in my office with the grass in a vial with water on a small table with a plamp to hold the vial. I used the screen from the window (I photograph birds out my office window on perches at the feeders) covered with a green table cloth for the BG. I discovered the stinkbug on the grass after I had brought it in.....a wonderful bonus. The biggest problem I had was keeping my cat from jumping up and swatting at the grass. I finally had to put him out of the office and shut the door which made for an unhappy cat. I didn't sharpen this much. I seem to like my birds sharp but like some of my macro work softer. Of course I've just started with macro so any/all suggestions are welcome.

Canon 1DMkIIN, Sigma 150mm macro, tripod, plamp
ISO 400, f/22, 1.3sec
RAW conversion, slight crop, USM, levels

Amy DeStefanis
08-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Thank goodness the cat didn't get the stink bug. Pew. :eek:

I like this image. The subdued colors lend themselves to the softness overall.

Amy D.

Julie Kenward
08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I think you had a good start putting the grass against the light green BG color but I'm losing the bug in all the light tones in this image. I'm wondering if there is any way to introduce a darker tone (maybe change out the BG?) to make that bug "pop" a bit more? It's a great image to show how natural camoflage works but I'm really having trouble keeping the bug as the main focus of the image.

Ed Vatza
08-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Lana,

I understand the problems of kitty helpers. We've got five and all of them believe than we are just guests in their house. Everything we do is for the sole purpose of entertaining them. Oh well.

I like the grasses more than the stinkbug. I agree with Julie that the bug seems to get lost. Besides, we get stinkbugs around here and they always seem to lack character. :D Regarding sharpening, I sometimes find myself going to the other extreme and oversharpening but that said, I do think the grasses could benefit from a little. Otherwise, the background looks fine, the position of the stinkbug is very good and I like the flow of the grasses. Nice job.

Mike Moats
08-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Very well done Lana, good details on the critter, and I like your choice of DOF. Good BG color.