PDA

View Full Version : sunrise Damariscotta Lake, Maine

Keith Carver
08-09-2008, 08:23 AM
1MD3, 20mm, ISO 100, f/7.1, 1/100, -0.66 EV, tweaked up the Sat a bit, also used S/H to open dark tones.

How can I improve it? Is boat too far to right? Thanks for C & C.

Johannes Glännman
08-10-2008, 04:32 AM
Hello...

I like the comp. The center horizon works fine for me and I also like the trees are in siluett. But I do not want the boat there. I think it is actually in the way. Perhaps it would work if it was an old small boat that is almost sinking.. But with this modern walkway and boat there I do not like it..

Cheers // Johannes

Roman Kurywczak
08-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi Keith,
The color of the sunset and sky is very nice. I am not fond of the central placement of the horizon in this instance as the light falloff in the water makes the immediate FG uninteresting. i would crop off the bottom to just below the right side orange cloud.....or to where you put the boat in the ROT position...(which you can do with a scroll of the browser to see what I mean)........and this seems to strenghten it compositionally. Nicely done to avoid merging the boat with the BG.
Well done!

Robert Amoruso
08-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Keith,

Good looking sunset. I would have to agree with Johannes that I would like this better w/o the boat. However, you composed it such that the boat is set against the bright portion of the water - that's good. I did a repost were I did a Rule of Thirds crop from the bottom placing the boat in the lower right power point. I then did a curves adjustment (Photoshop) and lighten the whole image. Then I masked the sky out so only the FG water was affected by the curves adjustment.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Would go with Robert Amuroso's version here. The enhanced contrast + sat works well. Along with the crop, it provides better visual seperation of boat from the water.