PDA

View Full Version : Clouds

Paul Burgess
08-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi folks!

Here's a shot that I got a day or two ago. Clouds are such cool subjects!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/scripturescapes/SJtu1kQYEJI/AAAAAAAAAIg/i-LYt6xSZqg/s800/Cloud3.jpg
Rebel Xt, 24-105mm

C/C Please!!

Johannes Glännman
08-10-2008, 04:34 AM
I do like clouds but they do not very often makes very good pictures. Only clouds on a picture has to be very speciall and interesting and that is why this does not work for me.... It is to standard

Cheers // Johannes

Roman Kurywczak
08-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi Paul,
I agree that clouds are a very cool subjects and most of the time they can't stand on their own.......because they tend to lack a center of interest. Here I feel the composition works very well as anabstract or cloudscape.....as the grey top acts as a nice framing element and the depth of the FG clods really does work.......although i brought more detail out with a significant shadow/highlight........mostly highlight...adjustment.....and then added a bit of contrast. This really brought out the subtle tones of the dramtic clouds.
There's a few.......dust spots??? near your signature......thought should be removed.

Robert Amoruso
08-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Paul,

We have been having a ton of coll looking afternoon clouds in FL lately and all the images I make of them I don't post for the reasons discussed, lacking a center of interest so you need something with a lot of drama and graduation of tones to make it interesting. I think you did that pretty well here and Roman really brought out the drama in them.

Try a B&W conversion too.

Paul Burgess
08-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys!

The darker version really does bring out more detail, but in reality, the sky was a much light blue and the clouds were whiter. What to do? :confused: I'll have to try the B&W suggestion. Thanks again!

Happy shooting and God bless,
Paul

PS. Yes, it's more than likely that those are dust spots....thanks for pointing them out.

Matthew Kuchta
08-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Paul,
Sometimes you gotta "look up." There is as much texture and movement as is needed. You don't need "drama" in clouds - as beings dependent upon weather, there is a great deal of "drama" in the sky already. This image harkens back to Stieglitz's "Equivalent" series. Roman's adjustment enhances the textures in the clouds and makes it feel a little less unsettled. I like the image - I think a dip- or triptych with these clouds would make for some interesting viewing and be worth additional investigation.

cheers,
-matt

Robert Amoruso
08-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Matthew,

A well thought out dissertation. I have added a link below to the "Equivalent" series.

http://www.phillipscollection.org/american_art/artwork/Stieglitz-Equivalent_Series1.htm