PDA

View Full Version : Great Spangled Fritilliary

Julie Kenward
08-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I hope I got the ID right on this one! Today was the first day of our local botanical garden's "Butterfly Festival." They gave us all a 'cheat sheet' so we'd know what we were looking at but I seem to have photographed more that weren't on the sheet than those that were!

This was taken inside the conservatory with natural lighting. I wish I had stopped down my aperture a bit more but it was very crowded and I was afraid I'd get all kinds of people in the BG so I kept it pretty shallow most of the day. I processed the image in Camera raw & CS3 doing a levels and curves adjustment, noise reduction and sharpening. I cleaned up some stray branches around the edges and added a vignette because of the light BG.

Canon 40D, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
f/4, 1/320th, ISO 100
Center-weighted metering, handheld

Ed Vatza
08-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Hi Julie,

It is definitely a Fritillary but I'm not 100% sure which one. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is a Great Spangled.

You certainly got up close and personal with this one. On one hand, I like the way you filled the frame but on the other it does seem a bit too boxed in. I really like the detail from the body and moving out. Stopping down for greater dof would have carried that detail farther out the wings.

Overall looks good, Julie.

Lana Hays
08-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Julie
From my field guide it sure looks like a Great Spangled Fritillary......there are some other identifying marks on the underside of the wing that you and use for positive ID so I guess I'll have to stick with what I see on the topside. I agree....more DOF would be nice on the butterfly but given the circumstances I think you did fine as is. Nice color and detail. Normally I would want a little more room (got to get out of the "bird" composition) but I think this works well to give attention to the butterfly. Well done.

Amy DeStefanis
08-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi Jules,

I like this - and I like that the focus is on the "furry" body and you can see the "furriness" extending into the wings - details you don't always see in butterflies. I like it as-is, especially considering the risk of introducing distraction in the background if you'd gone with more DOF. Under the circumstances, I'd say it was a good call :)

Did you "burn in" the edges of the frame?

Amy D.

Julie Kenward
08-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I think the original crop had more room because the vignette around the edges was a last minute thought that I added to help define the photo's edges and now it does seem just a tiny bit crowded. I might go back and loosen that up a little more.

Amy, I ran a vignette action that puts a black layer mask over the photo and then you choose how much to reveal and how much to blur/fade the edges. It's a quick and easy way to apply a vignette. I found the action (called Dave's Vignette Pack) at www.atncentral.com (http://www.atncentral.com). They have several different vignette actions and they are all free - just click on the "dowload" button and it will take you to the page with all the actions on it.