PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help... (Long)

David Smith
08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I didn't know what forum to put this under so I put it here..

I submitted an Artice/Photo submission to a fairly well known magazine. I included a Delivery Memo for the eleven (11) Original Transparencies that I send along with the article. The submission was made well over a year ago. I have been trying since the end of last year to find out the status of my submission and the Editor is coming up with several different stories. First, it was new help must have misplaced it, then it was the office moved and they would get back to me. I just got off the phone again with the editor and now they say that they must have lost my article. When I mentioned that maybe we should talk about the eleven lost transparencies, the editor said that they would renew their search and for me to call back in three weeks. I then e-mailed the editor a copy of my Delivery memo, to assist them in locating the transparencies. The package was send via USPS with a return receipt requested, so that I had proof that they received my submission. My Delivery memo contained terms that they would be liable for lost/destroyed transparencies, the compensation for lost/destroyed transparencies and that the person signing for the submission was authorized to sign and agreed to the terms on the Delivery Memo.

My question is this... Has anyone here ran into that problem before and what suggestions would you have for me, as far as a course of action, if the transparencies are indeed lost..

Thanks for any help..

Dave Smith

David Smith
08-11-2008, 06:59 AM
I really thought that someone may have added a reply to help me..

Thanks anyway..

Dave

Doug West
08-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Was the delivery memo inside? If so, there's probably nothing you can do, especially in regards to compensation. Plus,
it wouldn't surprise me at all if somewhere in very small print there's some disclaimer that says they're not responsible
for lost items.

The usps proof of receipt unfortunately proves nothing. The mail man could deliver my package on my roof and it would show up as delivered, even though I never actually received it. Now, if you required a signature, then you could at least track down the person who signed for it.

The only other thing I can think of (and I'm sure you probably have also) is to describe the photos. Maybe they're floating
around in a special subject folder.

There's also the possibility that they read the article, felt like it didn't fit their needs and sent everything to the trash.

Doug

Grady Weed
08-12-2008, 07:27 AM
I have to agree with Doug on the last part. Most likely, and unfortunately, many things end up in the trash. And there is nothing most of us can do about it, except chalk it up to experience. Most publications are inundated with articles, images, e-mails etc. Dont let it bother you.

David Smith
08-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Appreciate the info..

I had the Delivery Memo packaged with the transparencies. I have a signed "Return Receipt" showing that they were signed for, and I enclosed a self-addressed stamped mailer for the return of the transparencies and article if it was not going to be used..

It just irritates me, that I have apparently lost 11 original transpariences, of some great Alligator images, and have nothing to show for it.. None of them had better show up in that publication..

Thanks again

Dave

Doug West
08-12-2008, 06:11 PM
I do have one idea. You have copies somewhere, right? If you're worried about
them showing up, copyright them with the government. At least by doing that
you have some record of your images.

I used their new online feature to copyright my images. The site still has its
growing pains, but it still works and its a lot faster than mailing the stuff in.

Here's the url in case your interested: http://www.copyright.gov/

Doug