PDA

View Full Version : The 7 Sisters

Stephen Stephen
08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I created this image while on vacation in East Sussex County, England. The Seven Sisters are 7 chalk cliffs along the English Channel between Eastbourne and Seaford.

This image was created at 11:15 in the morming. I was on the beach at low tide at a place called Cuckmere Haven and the light was only illuminating a few of the cliffs.

I visited this beautiful place several times at various times of the day to capture the cliffs in different lights. The small spots in the water at left are Kayakers. I decided to leave them in the image to offer a sense of scale. Perhaps I shouldn't have?

Canon 40D, Sigma 50-500mm* at 50mm. ISO400, F 14.05. 1/1026 sec. Graduated ND Filter added in Photoshop.

* Left my 18-55mm in the car! :o

Roman Kurywczak
08-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Stephen,
I like the way the cliffs recede into the distance. I might go even a bit darker with the sky to further pop the clouds. The kayakers......because they are so small at the 800 pixels........do not really stand out.........but they may provide a nice sense of scale on larger versions. I would also be tempted to fill in or crop the LLC...as it somewhat breaks the visual imapct of the FG rocks. Overall nicely composed and i look forard to other versions with different light.

Robert Amoruso
08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I too like the receding line of the cliffs into the distant and agree with Roman a bit more drama to the sky can be had by darkening the clouds.

What is not really working for me is the FG. The rocks are not interesting and draw my eye from the cliffs. Cropped into a pano, I prefer the cliff composition better.

Stephen Stephen
08-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Thank you Roman and Robert for your comments. I know what you both mean about the clouds. As far as the rocks and seaweed are concerned, I of course purposely included them. Too bad I didn't think to create one with and one without them. Perhaps I'll try a repost in a pano format or I could try cloning some of the rocks out and cropping off the rest..