PDA

View Full Version : Wasp (look-a-like?)

Jonathan Michael Ashton
08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Not too sure what this is but I am not convinced it is a wasp! Until recently have been chasing insects with a monopod, this time I tried a tripod and kept my distance using the 1.4TC - just wish the breeze would stop at the right time!

ISO 200 +1/3
1/200sec @ f10
Canon 20D canon 180mm macro plus 1.4TC

All comments welcome

Jon

Ed Vatza
08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Tell me about it, Jon. I was battling the breeze all morning. Finally figured I would give in and try to capture the breeze in my images. :)

But to your image. It looks fine to me. The insect is very sharp as it should be. It looks like it is munching on some threads from the flower. The background also looks great. Only thing I would look out for is the flower. I go back and forth on whether it should be sharper or not. And it (the flower) looks just a tad bit hot on my screen. Still a very cool image.

Julie Kenward
08-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Jon, I think you did a great job on capturing the insect with a beautifully blurred BG but the harsh light on the flower is distracting to me. You might try lowering the light values of the top tones as even the wasp looks a little bit overexposed to me. (Could just be my monitor.) You could also benefit from running a little noise reduction as the BG is really showing it.

That darn wind! Doesn't it know we're trying to make macro images out here??? :D