PDA

View Full Version : Grey Heron

Jasper Doest
08-07-2008, 05:20 AM
I was really surprised that these Grey Herons started perching at the end of my street. I was able to get away with some nice poses...While I was hoping to photograph them during autumn while the trees would turn yellow and red I found out that most of the time they were perching in evergreen trees :( Nontheless I had a great time...lazy photography it was....look out of the window if they were there, and with my breakfast in my hand I walked down there and crossed my fingers that they would stay perched. Most of the time they took off before I reached the end of the street though...... Soon the Grey Herons will be back at this spot, so that I can continue the series.....

Canon EOS1Dmk3
Canon EF400/2.8L IS USM + EF20II
1/500 @ f/8.0
ISO400, RAW
Gitzo tripod, M10, Sidekick

Norm Dulak
08-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Jasper:

I think I'd crop more tightly, eliminating some of the foliage below and to the left of the bird, leaving space to the right for the bird to look into. As it is, I think the foliage comprises too much of the image. You might also try to sharpen the bird a bit more. Otherwise, this is a nice image.

Norm Dulak

Alfred Forns
08-07-2008, 07:41 AM
I like it as presented Very nice environmental image wish we had more like this !!!!

Was tempted to have the bird moved left a bit but like the framing When you go back if you find solid green behind the bird would be even better. Great light and feel to this image !!!

Robert Amoruso
08-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Jasper,

Looks like critical sharpness was on the bird's butt and the perch. Place active sensor on eye to focus or use one-shot and recompose once focused on eye. I would like a tighter cropping and agree with Alfred that if you can get a uniform green BG, that would be better (or clone out blue if you are willing to do that).

Jasper Doest
08-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks all....regarding the sharpness....I sharpened the surroundings a bit harder than the birds head....I find it hard with environmental images to get good sharpness in webpresentations....as often the head of the bird gets a lot of sharpening-artefacts. So that's why I tend to sharpen less on the head. The head and butt are all within the DOF in this one...

I'll try to look for a more uniform BG this season...

Arthur Morris
08-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I like it as is but Norm's suggested crop might work even better. EXP and sharpness right on.

Sudhir Shivaram
08-08-2008, 03:12 AM
I like the way the bird is shown in the habitat. We are always used to seeing this bird on shores and in water. This is different. The sharpness and exposure looks fine on my monitor. Though the bg is a bit busy, I still like it as it's something different and new for this species.