PDA

View Full Version : Pure Luck???

Arthur Morris
08-06-2008, 05:35 PM
The title is not facetious. There was a ton of luck involved in this capture. Wind was from the southeast on a clear morning, excellent for flight photography. Keeping the central sensor on the birds was easy when they were at a distance, but when the begin to brake and drop down their flight is quite erratic, so most times focus is lost. I saw the bird, tracked it without focusing, and focused and created the image almost in the same motion as it landed. I knew that I had gotten close to capturing the handoff (but that had not at all been my goal). When I viewed the image on the back of the camera it looked as if I had cut off the feet of the youngster, so I did not give the image much thought.

I was, however, thrilled when I saw the image on my laptop.

Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens with the 14.X II TC and the EOS 40D. ISO 320. Manual mode: 1/2000 at f/8 for whtie birds confirmed by histogram check. (1/1600 at f/8 yeilded flashing highlights.)

Quick-masked a bird out of the llc and added canvas left and top.

Arthur Morris
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM
This is the ORIG. Had it been film, I would likely have thrown it away. You gotta love digital.

WIlliam Maroldo
08-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Absolutely not pure luck. The ability to anticipate something interesting might happen, to be technologically ready to capture it with no exposure, focusing, or framing errors, and to be there at the right place at the right time to allow "luck" to happen, doesn't sound like pure luck to me. Incidentally, I like the image. regards~Bill

Philip Lombard
08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Arthur just fantastic. I am trying.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Luck or not, great moment captured. Thanks also for sharing the original.

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Simply awesome and many thanks for the background history to this image Artie. Love the interaction in this capture. !!!!

Bonnie Block
08-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Wonderful narrative--and awesome image, Artie. Lovely interaction and the fish puts this one over the top.
Thanks for sharing it!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Hi Artie,
All of the above and the most beautiful, gorgeous light!!
Regards,
Nicki

Jasper Doest
08-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Sure, luck was involved....but you were there, at the right time, right angle, used the right approach to get this shot....so BRAVO! A wonderful capture and I'm amazed with your digital technique....I really should take some time to look at that CD of yours....

Arthur Morris
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Sure, luck was involved....but you were there, at the right time, right angle, used the right approach to get this shot....so BRAVO! A wonderful capture and I'm amazed with your digital technique....I really should take some time to look at that CD of yours....

Thanks Jasper et al. Actually the comnination of Digital Basics and Robert O'Toole's APTATS would be most deadly. ABP II contains a several years old version of DB but nothing on QMing. It does, however, contain pretty much everything that I know about digital and everything new that I learned about bird photography between 1998 and 2006...

Rosl Roessner
08-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Really more than luck, and really good work in the post processing.
I think I would love it even more if you add a very little bit canvas at the bottom.

Arthur Morris
08-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Really more than luck, and really good work in the post processing.
I think I would love it even more if you add a very little bit canvas at the bottom.

You are right. I considered it but was so stunned (and happy) to see that I had not cut off fledling's feet that I never got around to it...