PDA

View Full Version : British Bird ID Please

Stephen Stephen
08-05-2008, 11:26 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/English%20Birds/SpottedFlycatcher.jpg

I created this image in East Sussex, England a couple of weeks ago. I believe that it may be a spotted flycatcher but I'm not sure. It a VERY big crop so I know that the quality is not there :o but I was creating images of many birds that I saw, and didn't recognise, in order to possibly ID life list additions later on.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Wayne Richardson
08-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi Stephen

This LBJ (little brown job) is either Meadow or Tree Pipit from date & location.

However, the rather plain area around the eye, a relatively indistinct sub-moustachial stripe & rather uniform breast/flank streaks, are all ID features of MP. IMO this is an adult in worn summer plumage.

Cheers: Wayne

John Chardine
08-05-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree with Wayne. After the breeding season the Meadow Pipit moults to its basic plumage which is yellower than this. Too bad the image does not show one of the characteristic pipit features- very long nails on the hind toes.

Stephen Stephen
08-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Thank you Wayne and John. A Pipit was my other choice but I didn't have much time to look at all the possible LBJs. I thought that the bill looked too long and narrow for a pipit

In any event it's still a Life List addition for me! :D

Thanks again.

Stephen

Peregrine Craig Nash
08-13-2008, 04:55 AM
I would also go for Meadow Pipit.