PDA

View Full Version : IFC Contest, Yucca and stars

D. Robert Franz
08-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Landscape images were the biggest challenge for me in the IFC contest. My ranch was 1100 acres of flat South Texas thornbrush. It was a nightmare trying to come up with any interesting landscape image. Here I tried a night exposure and light up the top of the yucca reminds me a bit of the torch of the Statue of Liberty at might..

Canon 1d3, EF 17-40mmF4, ISO 3200, 13 seconds @ F5.6

Matthew Kuchta
08-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I like how you put the "split" in the Yucca plant in line with the tree-line. "Painting" the top of the plant with light is an interesting change. To me it feels a little "forced," but that's not really a negative - I would like to see more of this concept with some different compositions.

Sometimes, you gotta make the picture, rather than take it. I think you "made" it well here :)

-matt

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi D. Robert,
I am somewhat bothered by the spotlight effect on the top of the Yucca. I would have probably preferred.......judging by the light on the rest of the plant..........just a strait up shot with the stars. I have pushed the Mark 3 to ISO 6400...........and the stars look amazing! Noise is an issue...as it is here..........running some NR stuff would help. What was the light source used. I find the biggest problem with 'Painting" is the light source can be overpowering at times.

Robert Amoruso
08-06-2008, 06:58 AM
I understand your dilemma.

To add to Roman's suggestions, I find having the bloom of the yucca coincident with the horizon distracti8ng. A lower perspective with the yucca backgrounded by the starry night would be preferable IMO. A more subtle lighting of the yucca was needed IMO as well.

When I tried this type of thing in Joshua Tree I was unsatisfied will all my images - not an easy thing to balance it out.

carole wiley
08-06-2008, 08:43 AM
I like the detail you got in the vegitation and the sky is amazing. I have to say having the bright light on the top part of the tree doesn't do it for me, maybe if it were far more subdued. I also find the placement of the top (lighted) part unfortunate.