PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Sora

Mike Milicia
01-11-2008, 12:38 PM
EOS-1D Mk II, 500mm f/4L + 1.4xII, 1/1250, f/8, ISO 400
About 80% of Full Frame

Patched out a few dark objects in the duckweed.

Had a wonderful morning with this Sora this past August at Great Meadows NWR
in Concord, MA. It would make foray after foray out into the duckweed retreating
to the reeds in between. I finally left only because the light got too harsh.
Went back the next morning hoping for more but the refuge had raised the water
level just enough overnight that it was now too deep for the Sora in the area visible
from the path.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques !

Axel Hildebrandt
01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
The pose, composition and setting are very nice. The raised foot adds to it. The exposure looks very good despite the harsh light. It is hard to see whether it needs a little bit of CW rotation.

Fabs Forns
01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Hey Mike, I thought this was taken at our Green Cay because of the bird and the duckweed.

Very lucky to have one in the open, is this a female? I have a Sora that looks darker and gray and more yellow on the beak, also patrolling the weed :D

Pretty good to me, as Axel said, the light was not helping, but pulled it off nicely.

Mike Milicia
01-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Very lucky to have one in the open, is this a female? I have a Sora that looks darker and gray and more yellow on the beak, also patrolling the weed :D

I believe the adult male and female look the same. This is the juvenal plumage.

Lana Hays
01-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Mike
It's a thrill to see them out in the open. I like the duckweed......a different habitat than what I've seen them in. The raised foot is a nice touch and I like the details. I agree with a little rotation. You did a nice job with this one.