PDA

View Full Version : Purple Gem

Bruce Murden
08-04-2008, 11:47 PM
I found this little bloom on the path from parking lot up to the bridge at Multnomah Falls, Oregon (east of Portland, in the Columbia River Gorge area). Even in the

I only took a couple of images, and never got the BG look I would have liked with the fern leaf behind the bloom. I think the center spine of the BG leaf could be better, not appearing to be both sraightand curvy in an annoying way (for me, at least).

I'd love your comments on this image and "ideal-world improvments!"

Nikon D80, Nikon 105 macro @ f/4

Ed Vatza
08-05-2008, 05:39 AM
I don't know about this one, Bruce. You hit a lot of the points yourself. I think the flower itself is great. And I like the tone of green leaves a lot. But I think the green leaf in the LR needs to be more oof. As is, it keeps pulling my eye away from the flower. And the jury is out on the hanging bud beneath the flower. I keep thinking it is a distraction but my eye just glosses over it on its way down to the LR green leaf.

If you are anything like me, finding the flower is easy. Getting the background right can drive me crazy! My wife, who often accompanies me on these forays, always asks why I have to make 30 or 40 or 50 images (or more) of a single flower. Its always the same answer it seems. The background.

Just curious, Bruce. Is this a hobby, living or somewhere in between for you? Just curious because for me it is now a hobby moving toward somewhere in between with hope of it being regular supplemental source of income in retirement which is coming fast. Better stop since these are supposed to be critiques and not chat rooms. :)

Mike Moats
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey Bruce, like the comp and BG. Good details on the flower

Bruce Murden
08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm in a similar hobby-job status, building my image library, planning for my first season of art fairs next year (and therefore putting off some booth expenses for a while!), casually selling prints and cards, doing portraits, weddings, etc... doing as much photography as I can around my home and main job responsibilities!

Kaushik Balakumar
08-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Beautiful image Bruce. For me, the DOF of the lower-right leaf seems just fine. However I wish for slightly more DOF around the flower so as to bring the top petal into focus. The fern leaf in the BG makes this image pop. The BG could take some noise removal too.
Tried a slight crop from the top & left; followed by bringing down the brightness of the petals slightly; some noise removal too. Here's the result (just a personal taste):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2751692096_913e0633d8_o.jpg