PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Miners Falls

Bruce Murden
08-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Last week I posted the "documentary view" of Miners Falls, in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore near Munising, MI. After a climb down the hill below the viewing platform, I got this view of the base of the falls, the power against the rocks. A great cool breeze comes off the bottom of the falls (and a lot of mist for the lens! bring a chamois!)

Nikon D80, Nikon 24-85 @ 58mm, f/16, 1/8s, ISO 400, polarizer.

Robert Amoruso
08-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Bruce,

I like the composition with the falls entering the frame diagonally left to right and the stream exiting right to left. Combination of the falls and the graphic detail of the rocks is dramatic too. The rocks have a lot of detail that is brought out by some local contrast enhancement and opening up the shadows.

For the LCE I used USM at 20% amount and 10% radius.
On a BG copy I did a shadow/highlight adjustment at 55/20/30 in the shadows, nothing in the highlights and +15 on mid-tone contrast.

Repost included.

Joanna Trescott
08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
This is a really powerful shot. I can almost feel the mist swirling around. Great composition. I actually like the first post better. The lighter areas of the rocks are distracting to me on the repost.

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey Buce,
I'm liking the lighter rocks.....for me they don't overpower the darker rocks....but that may fall into personal preference.........nevertheless............very well composed and exposed!