PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming Speed Goat

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Took this antilope about five weeks ago while visiting the HF Bar ranch outside Buffalo, Wy. The plains were full of them as they had a wet wenter which meant a great deal of food available. I tryed to get some images of them on the run, but the only ones I got ere from the back. This one was about to run. Love to hear you thoughts on this photograph as they are extremely helpful for improvement.

Nikon D300
200-400mm @ 650mm
975mm (in 35mm film)
1/1000 sec, f/6.7
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: AUTO
Flash: Off
File size: 28.5MB
Image size: 4320 x 2868
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal

Maxis Gamez
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
What a good looking Goat. The image looks too centered for my taste but you did well with the DOF and sharpness!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I agree with you about the image being too centered, but I cropped the image that way because when I took it the goat was on the left side of the image and I thought it looked worse there. Thanks for you thoughts.

Beth Goffe
08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm not the greatest at Photoshop but perhaps you could crop a bit from the right and add some canvas on the left. The face might use a little lightening, too. Otherwise, congrats on a very nice image of a pronghorn antelope.

D. Robert Franz
08-05-2008, 07:58 AM
This image has great detail and you have a fine subject here. The head falls on a power point so your attention is drawn to it even though he seems to be moving through the frame right to left with the attention of the antelope focused on the photogrpaher. I think the comp works...

Ken Watkins
08-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I had to look this up to find out what it was unfortunately most of the websites are about shooting them.
Nevertheless it is a very nice picture of an animal that up until now I had never heard of. Given the fact that you have so many exiting Wild animals and Birds in USA I am surprised that so many people come to Africa on holiday!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Ken- Sorry not to have identified the Speed Goat for what it really is a Pronghord Antelope. It just didn't occure to me that anyone would not be familliar with the breed, but there would be no reason why you would have ever hear of it. Maybe I am like alot of Americans we think the world knows all about us even though we don't know much about the rest of the world. Thanks again for your comments.
Mac

Sid Garige
08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Extension of canvas and quick mask. here you go. Composition worked as it is for me.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Sid- Thanks I really like the change.

James Prudente
08-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Antilocapra americana, American Goat-Antelope. The only species within the family Antilocapridae. Commonly known as Pronghorn. It occurs from southern Alberta and southern Saskatchewan, Canada through the western United States to Hidalgo, Baja California, and western Sonora, Mexico.

Jim

Ed Cordes
08-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Excellent image due to the sharpness, great BG and good DOF. I like the repost since it is less centered.