View Full Version : Islands In The Fog

Layton E Parham
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
The incoming fog made this morning view interesting. Jonesport, Maine
Canon EOS 1D Mark III, F500L IS, F7.1 @ 1/2500 sec, ISO 400, Set Manually
Should I crop it?

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I really love this image. The softness of the fog is just wonderful. I think it is great the way it is, I don't think I would crop it at all. Thanks for a great image.

Roman Kurywczak
08-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi Layton,
I do like this image very much. the way the trees draw my eyes right to left and the clouds bring me back in. i would crop some off the bottom.......to equal the space above the clouds........but either wayis OK with me! nicely done.

Bruce Murden
08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Great layers in the midground. I would even consider this view for a pano, a little of the bottom and just below the cloud detail on the top, and wondering how wide the view holds the trees and varied fog layers.

Robert Amoruso
08-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Layton,

Good eye capturing this scene. I like the pattern of the trees and I like the white of the fog. There is also good use of the atmospheric affects here to impart depth in the image from the FG white fog to the mid-ground (MG) trees to the BG yellow sky.

Having the trees in the middle of the image makes it rather static however. I have proposed three different recrops in the repost. The top one biased towards the BG yellow sky, the middle one towards the FG white fog and the bottom one a composite where I masked and copied the cloud line, moved it down, blended the layer to the BG copy using the eraser tool and then recropped the image to move the tree line up in the frame.

I like the bottom best but you would have to be OK with the composite approach. If not I like the middle one next best - however I like the BG cloud too and don't like losing it - hence my composite version.

The tree line balances nicely with the trees further back on the left and closer to the FG on the right. Including that in the composition was a good move. Nice work.

Joanna Trescott
08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Beautiful shot. I like the bottom one -- the clouds add an extra layer and the fog on the bottom creates such a dreamy atmosphere.

Gus Cobos
08-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I like it as presented. The fog is fantastic...:cool: