PDA

View Full Version : New Way of Thinking, For Me, Anyway...

Arthur Morris
01-11-2008, 11:41 AM
As I was creating the first vertical of the two birds with only a bit of the shadows, I realized that I could include the shadows by making a second image, adding canvas, and then making a pano with about 7/8th of the second frame. As I was using One-Shot AF, I simply placed the head of the Great Egret on the very edge of frame 2 and made sure that I included the complete shadows. I am just opening up to this type of thinking with digital. I did something similar at Silver Salmon Creek making a stiched pano of a big sleeping bear.

later and love, artie

Jeez, almost forgot: Fort DeSoto Park, Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens with the 1.4X II TC and the EOS 1Ds MII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/2500 at f/5.6. (I greatly prefer the second bird sharp here as stopping down would result in an horrific sand background...

Michael Pancier
01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
great idea artie. i'm curious as to whether anyone has used HDR with avian shots which is another digital advantage? I've been using them in landscape shots in high contrast situations. but you've given me an idea of shooting pano with the 500. might be an interesting idea.

are you simply using PS to stitch the images?

James Galletto
01-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Good thinking Artie nice image next time maybe take an image of each bird in focus then run it though Helicon Focus so both birds will be sharp.

Arthur Morris
01-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Thanks Jimmy. Is it a plug in and where do I find it?

thanks and later and love, artie

ps: Good to have you here.

Robert Amoruso
01-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Artie,

Helicon Focus is a separate program. I just finished an article about it. I will PDF and send you copy. I am looking into it.

Just saw this today but during my private workshop at Desoto this week, I was doing the same things in images there.

Bob Reimer
01-29-2008, 12:37 AM
I've played with Helicon Focus a bit but haven't bought it - yet. I likely will buy it or one of its competitors. One of the things I want to do, but haven't had the time yet, is to document our natural history group's insect collection. HF seems to be a very good way of getting the DOF necessary to get the taxonomic details required for identification from photographs. Similar software is being used by Harvard's e-Type Initiative (http://mcz-28168.oeb.harvard.edu/etypes/index.htm). I'm wondering how well it's going to blend in the disparate OOF areas in an application like this but I guess that can be controlled with masking.