PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Mud Turtle

Jasper Doest
08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Here's one little creature that I photographed during this year's ICF pro-tour in South-Western-Texas. I ended up in the pro-tour by surprise and I must say it really was a challenge to photograph new species in a new environment without knowing anything about them. That said, I'm quite happy with the portfolio that I brought back to this side of the pond....but I'll have to get back...as there are loads of good oppertunities in this area of the world.

Nikon D3
Nikon AF-S 14-24/2.8G @ 19mm
1/100 @ f/22
ISO400, RAW
Handheld, anglefinder, fillflash (SB800)

Alfred Forns
08-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Excellent jasper Can't imagine a better perspective to photograph a turtle Eye level is good but this is far better Maybe would have like the tree more to the right of frame? Big Congrats and looking forward to seeing some of the one you made !!!!

Vincent Grafhorst
08-04-2008, 02:10 PM
The pose of the turtle is just perfect here Jasper with good eye-contact. I like the wide angle approach and it is very well executed, though the environment is not the most exciting. Also the light is a bit harsh.

Jasper Doest
08-04-2008, 02:18 PM
.... though the environment is not the most exciting. Also the light is a bit harsh.

Yup....that's the pro-tour....too many things to do in too little time...in an environment that wasn't chosen because of it's photographic beauty...so you end up also photographing when the sun is a bit too bright. No excuse, I know...but that's just how I experienced 5 weeks of non-stop photography (more than 15hours a day).

Thanks for your comments...much appreciated!

Sid Garige
08-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Excellent job Jasper. Very nice perspective.

D. Robert Franz
08-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Your right Jasper that's the pro-tour. You did well with this in challenging conditions........