PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in NJ?

Beth Goffe
08-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Do any of our North East residents have any familiarity with places to bird and photograph birds in central or northern NJ? I know Cape May is good during migration and for raptors. Are there good spots there to set up shop for photography? Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks!

Art Peslak
08-04-2008, 03:26 PM
There are a lot of places in New Jersey for birding and bird photography depending upon your interests. This time of year anywhere from Sandy Hook to Cape May on the shore can be good for shorebirds. Some places are great for birding and not so great for bird photography and vice-versa.

Ed Vatza
08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi Beth,

Just to elaborate a bit on what Art has said.

First off, we make as many weekend day trips to the Jersey shore as we can (with gas prices what they are, thank God we have a Prius :)) once all the summer residents and visitors have left. Our season at the shore runs from Labor Day through Memorial Day.

Sandy Hook is good for shore birds and migrating songbirds and raptors in Spring and Fall. There are/have been several nesting Osprey there. The young were fledging when we were last there a couple of weeks ago. But summer isn't our season.

I would also recommend the inlets along the coast like Shark River Inlet in Belmar down through Barnegat Inlet in Barnegat Light. The inlets are great for wintering ducks and such and Barnegat is well known for its wintering Harlequin ducks. Also last year there was a flock of Horned Larks along Barnegat Inlet and Snow Buntings at Shark River. Just be very careful at Barnegat. You have to walk out on a jetty that can be very slippery particularly in winter. Last year alone, I fell once banging up my knees but saving the camera and lens on a tripod and got caught in the back of the legs by a wave that came up over the jetty.

Also there is a series of inland (just barely by a couple of blocks) lakes that extend along the coast down to Point Pleasant which are also good for wintering ducks of all sorts.

None of these places are secret. Check the NJ Audubon web site for weekly reports that cover all these areas. Also check out their list of birding hot spots by seasons. Just remember a great birding spot isn't necessarily a great bird photography spot.

P.S. This should probably be moved to the Mid-Atlantic board.

Beth Goffe
08-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the information and for the details, Ed and Art. I'll take a look at the Audubon website, particularly for Sandy Hook as that's a pretty large place. Barnegat's a fair drive from NY but if there's something really interesting, I'll definitely make the effort. At least there's no shore traffic during the winter!

I checked the message on this forum before posting and there is one that states that NJ is part of the North East so I figured the message belonged here.

Ed Vatza
08-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I'll take a look at the Audubon website, particularly for Sandy Hook as that's a pretty large place.

Long and narrow. that's the Hook. Personally, I tend to prefer the bay side. North Beach area is nice once you've completed the death march from the parking lot. And you can find Piping Plovers there. As you approach the old barracks on the bay side, keep an eye out for the NJ Audubon office/store there. Always nice to check in and see what is being seen.

I checked the message on this forum before posting and there is one that states that NJ is part of the North East so I figured the message belonged here.

I think the Mid-Atlantic including NJ was, at one time, part of the Northeast but seceded to form its own confederacy.:D No problem, though.

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2008, 08:16 AM
I think the Mid-Atlantic including NJ was, at one time, part of the Northeast but seceded to form its own confederacy.:D No problem, though.[/quote]

Hey! We tried to play nice but the NY guys got a little scared and kicked us out!

Prime time for Barnegat light is Jan/Feb/March........very cold too!

Check out Dekorte Park near the Meadowlands. I haven't been there in a while but i think you can park outside the gate and then walk the boardwalk and dykes. I did photogrpah Yellowlegs there in the fall?
The audubon site should have it.

Ed Vatza
08-08-2008, 01:49 PM
For no other reason than I feel like it :D... (I hope it's allowed.)

This lyric, from Jimmy Buffett's "When the Coast is Clear", sums up my feelings about the Jersey shore and when I like to visit. It just happens to also be a great time for birds, birding and bird photography.

"When the Coast is Clear"

"They're closin' down the hangout
The air is turnin' cool
They're shuttin' off the superslide
The kids are back in school

The tourist traps are empty
Vacancy abounds
Almost like it used to be
Before the circus came to town

That's when it always happens
The same time every year
I come down to talk to me
When the coast is clear"

Can't wait for the coast to clear!;)

MichaelM
08-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Do any of our North East residents have any familiarity with places to bird and photograph birds in central or northern NJ? I know Cape May is good during migration and for raptors. Are there good spots there to set up shop for photography? Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks!

Beth... to add to what others have noted..

I just returned from the E.Forsythe NWR...

It's usual suspects are much the same as the other NJ shoreline locales, though it's accessibility is a little different. It is an 8 mile unpaved loop that passes through salt marsh, brakish and open bay, with hiking trails chock full of song birds if that is your thing.

I know it's a long ride, but I came from southern Long Island and still find it worth while.

Dave Blinder
10-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Birdwatchers and Bird Photographers like myself consider Bill Boyle's book: "A Guide to Bird Finding in New Jersey" to be our holy grail. It's available in NJAS buildings, some major book retailers, and also from Amazon. No, I have no affiliation, and have only met him once. Nice guy though!

Axel Hildebrandt
10-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Birdwatchers and Bird Photographers like myself consider Bill Boyle's book: "A Guide to Bird Finding in New Jersey" to be our holy grail. It's available in NJAS buildings, some major book retailers, and also from Amazon. No, I have no affiliation, and have only met him once. Nice guy though!

Thanks, Dave! I did not know about this book.