PDA

View Full Version : Wasp on the river...

Amy DeStefanis
08-03-2008, 02:45 PM
This wasp was on a blade of grass in the Hillsborough River last weekend when we went kayaking. My husband pointed out "what's that yellow thing he's got?" So, I took a picture and posted it in the Family Friends, etc forum, not knowing where else to post the question.

Nobody seems to know what kind of wasp it is, or what he has, but they really seemed to like the picture. Dan Brown kindly re-posted it after some photoshop changes, so I took his advice, and tried my hand at getting it to pop a little more. This is the result.

Nikon D80
70-300VR @ 300mm
1/100 @ f/5.6
ISO 400
Handheld

Thanks,
Amy D.

Julie Kenward
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I have no idea what it is either but I like the image! You got a beautiful BG and great detail on the insect...that eye is amazing!

Amy DeStefanis
08-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks Jules,

Thanks to Harold Davis, we've identified it as Polistes fuscatus, or a paper wasp.

Still not sure what it's got in its mitts, but I suspect a common grub that had been munching on the grass blade....??

:)

Amy D.

Ed Vatza
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Excellent image Amy. Beautiful detail on the wasp and the background is creamy smooth. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the white edge on the leaf. It seems very harsh to me.

Aristotle Georgiou
08-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Fantastic Amy. Love the background, composition and detail. Fascinating creators and we also have paper wasps in Australia but the colours are totally. different.