PDA

View Full Version : Kingfisher

Walter Soestbergen
01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Hello All,

This is for me the first posting here. I am shooting birds since one + year now.

This one I shot with the Pentax K10D and the Sigma EX APO F4.5

I know some people don't like frames but it is almost impossible to make so many different sizes from photo's which you post at different forums that I decided to keep them arround mines (they fit perfectly in my website this way too.).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jverkaik/dph/dpr/ijsvogel-36450.jpg

EXIF = 500mm, 1/40sec, F4.5, ISO 200, tripod used
I did add some contrast and saturation and emoved some noise from the background (not the kingfisher)
Did also some smart sharpen.

At the moment I am not that sure anymore about my colors :( I just installed a new monitor and everything looks different from what I see at my old monitor. Waiting at my monitor calibration kit now.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Welcome, Walter. This is a great first post and I'm not really sure why you didn't post it in the regular bird forum since it is so good. :) I like the pose, details, perch and BG. The only thing I find a bit distracting is the bright green spot in the upper left. Keep them coming.

Walter Soestbergen
01-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Welcome, Walter. This is a great first post and I'm not really sure why you didn't post it in the regular bird forum since it is so good.

Hello Axel,

Because I was thinking that something could be done to make it better :)

Rosl Roessner
01-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Walter,
I hope, you are actually not "shooting" birds :-))
There is a thread, where we were asked to use other words than "shoot"....

Inge Schepers
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Walter, I am still learning how to take better photos and I am sure there are people on thid forum who can write better comments, but I really love this one. The colors are beautiful. And I know this is probably a girl thing, but this bird looks so cute and fluffy!

I am happy with my own kingfisher (posted on this forum as well), but this one makes me a little envious. :)

Jacqui Hendry
01-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Hello Walter

Just like Inge I too do not feel able to write better comments, But I do love this photograph and agree that it is so cute and fluffy :)

Guess it could be a girlie thing ;)

And I am envious of both yourself and Inge because I have never seen one of these since I became interested in photography but only when I was a child.

Jacqui

George DeCamp
01-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Love it!!

Colors are really nice both the bird and the background. You have a good composition here as well and the bird is nice and sharp. I am even noticing that with a 500mm lens you got a nice sharp image at 1/40. You did well with everything I can think of...good job!!

Christof Ruch
01-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Unbelievably cool, joining the envy group. Congrats!