PDA

View Full Version : Exuvia

Dan Brown
08-03-2008, 11:41 AM
To add to the dragonfly postings of late, here is a dragonfly EXUVIA, (the shed exoskeleton of a larval odonate). I'm no dragonfly expert, but lately I'v'e been learning from our local Sacramento Odes expert, Tim Manolis, the author of "Dragonflies and Damselflies of California". What a treat to be able to go into the field with him!

Capture made with a tripod mounted Nikon D200, 105 f2.8 Micro Nikkor at f16, 1/6th sec, spot meter mode, manual exp mode, self timer. The legs closest to us are OOF as they were sticking way out of the plane of my focus, even at f16:(. C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Dan Brown

Anita Rakestraw
08-03-2008, 01:45 PM
How interesting, Dan, please share info on these creatures as you obtain it! I've never seen an "exuvia" before; this is nicely sharp, clear, and with a great bg! Thanks for sharing!

Bruce Enns
08-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Great shot Dan! Nice comp...great background, exposure looks right on. The black spot on the 'shoulder' of the exuvia is a bit distracting, no doubt another stem like the one in focus...an easy QM would remedy that, if you are so inclined. The spider webs add a great touch as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Bruce

Julie Kenward
08-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Nice composition and interesting subject! I'd try to clone that bright blue spot in the middle of his back and maybe lower the light tones of the insect shell just a bit.

Ed Vatza
08-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Very interesting capture, Dan. But I am really taken by the color in the blade of grass and the beautiful background. Very well done.

Dan Brown
08-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks all! Ed, the exuvia is on Horsetail fern which is also in the BG. Dan