PDA

View Full Version : Nuthatch (Sitta europaea)

Jacqui Hendry
01-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Taken in my garden this morning,

This little chap moves around so fast it is difficult to get focused on his eye.

I had been trying out different ISO settings as I am trying to get my head round shutter speeds in poor lighting,

It wasn't till I was checking the images on the computer that I noticed that I had forgotten to check my compensation settings which was set to -1/3 :(

Not sure what people will think of the POV either?

1DmkIII,300f4 + 1.4,f7.1,ISO 1250, 1/100? Tripod

All comments appreciated

Jacqui

Rosl Roessner
01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Jaqui,
I know, that those guys are really quick moving araund....
The Exposure is good, but I would prefer to see the front of the bird than its backside.... Maybe next time you should wait until the bird turns around.
The shutter speed you chose is often too slow, because the birds are moving so fast. If there is a moment without moving, it will be ok, but I would not rely on that ;-)

Alfred Forns
01-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Jacqui I think the main problem is the slow SS Lots of magnification The Mk3 does produce clean images Would crank it up and shoot wide open !!!

Try pushing up on the lens with heft hand and up with your cheek on back of the camera Will take play out and give you the sharpest image Would also try getting a different perspective the perch is overpowering the bird Particularly the oof front Nice garden !!!!!!

Jacqui Hendry
01-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the comments and advice, I do have a couple of different perch to try out tomorrow if it doesn't rain !!

"Would crank it up and shoot wide open !!!"
Can you explain that to me please :confused:

do you mean f5.6?

Sorry I dont the jargon yet :o

Jacqui

Alfred Forns
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
..........;) go for more shutter speed and shoot wide open !!!! btw rain is good Will give lower contrast and you can shoot at any time Good luck !!!!:)

Jacqui Hendry
01-11-2008, 12:00 PM
ahhh.... now I understand;)

Thanks for that :o

Jacqui

George DeCamp
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Jacqui

A nice bird and a nice environment. A shutter speed at 1/100 with a lens of 420mm equiv with converters means you can and will get soft images. Agree with Al on the SS and try and catch this little guy before he turns away from you.

Keep them coming you are on the right track!!!