PDA

View Full Version : Word of Warning about Bringing in Laptops and Storage Devices at the Border

Michael Pancier
08-02-2008, 02:23 PM
this article is friggin unreal and applies to US Citizens as well.Something to ponder as you come home with a laptop and images on your various storage devices.

read it here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/01/AR2008080103030_pf.html).

Maxis Gamez
08-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Yeap! I sent that to my co-worker. She is going to Mexico tomorrow!! Amazing!!

Alfred Forns
08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Anything is possible but don't want to get paranoid !!!!

James Shadle
08-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Did you say USSR citizens?
James

Michael Pancier
08-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Did you say USSR citizens?
James

I was wondering the same thing

Maxis Gamez
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
At least we have laptops!! :) Let's see the positive side!! OR what are you hiding?? :)

Joerg Rockenberger
08-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I had my laptop once searched returning from an overseas trip. Well, I had to show the inspector how to search for images on my hard drive... When she realized that I had 10,000+ images she gave up and waived me through...

JR

Roger Clark
08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I travel a lot, e.g. 3 foreign trips in the last 3 months. I have never seen anyone have a laptop searched, and by the numbers of people coming into the US, it has to be a low probability event. Having said that, of the dozens and dozens of foreign trips I've done, I've only had trouble entering one country: the US of which I am a citizen! I've never had problems when carrying a lot of photo gear, but I have when I've put down buying stuff up to near the limit before the tax kicks in. So perhaps it says only bring back pictures. ;-)

Also, before leaving home, I compile a list of gear on a customs form and have it signed at the airport before boarding, then when I return, they can't say I bought the gear overseas and charge duty on it.

Roger

Erik Hagstrom
08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Roger,

Who do you get to sign the form? Are they pretty amenable to signing it? How much extra gate time do you allow for the process? I am headed to Canada in a few weeks with a fair amount of gear.

Thanks,

Roger Clark
08-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Since I fly out of Denver, there is a customs office right in the main terminal. I just go to the door and knock, ask, and they sign. I take two forms. 1) has all the gear and serial numbers of everything in my carry-on. 2) The second has what's in my checked luggage. I usually open up the photo backpack so they can see the gear. They've never examined each piece to see that it matches the form, but they do look it over briefly. It really only takes a few minutes, but one does need to get there when they are open. If I don't have enough time, I'll check in first, then they may or may not sign the form with the stuff in the checked bag (which is usually just the carbon fiber tripod). Occasionally, I've left on a Sunday and the office is closed, and I didn't get the form signed. I've never had to use them on returning into the country, so maybe it's not a big deal. But just my luck, the one time I don't do it will turn into the time they check everything. ;-)
Roger

Roger Clark
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Here are some links regarding the forms.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/certificate_of_registration.xml

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

Roger

Erik Hagstrom
08-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks Roger. This was VERY helpful...and the links as well!