PDA

View Full Version : Lee graduated ND Filters, which one?

Nancy A Elwood
08-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi all. I am going to the Tetons and Yellowstone in September and thinking about getting a graduated ND fiter. I already have a 2-stop ND filter, but was looking at the Lee filter holder and filters for the graduated filters. They have a chose of a color corrected or warming filter combined with the ND part. Which one is best? I will be using it on a D300 and D200 cameras, with 12-24 and 17-50 lens. Thanks all for help and suggestions:).

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi Nancy,
why do you want color corrected or warming? I wouldn't use either. A regular ND filter........soft edge is what I prefer and in a 4x6 size.This works on almost all lenses because of it's size. I used to own the Lee filter in resin but have swithced to Sing Ray.........I own the holder.....but if the ND is all you are going to use..........save some $$$ and just hand hold it in front of the lens.

Nancy A Elwood
08-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi Nancy,
why do you want color corrected or warming? I wouldn't use either. A regular ND filter........soft edge is what I prefer and in a 4x6 size.This works on almost all lenses because of it's size. I used to own the Lee filter in resin but have swithced to Sing Ray.........I own the holder.....but if the ND is all you are going to use..........save some $$$ and just hand hold it in front of the lens.

Thanks Roman! I was looking for some direction like that:). I will look into Sing Ray.

Thanks again!

Bob Ettinger
08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Exactly what Roman said

Joanna Trescott
08-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Roman: Do you always use a 3 stop ND? Are there cases where you use a 2 stop? I definitely plan to purchase one this week and like the idea of hand holding!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Joanna,
The 3 stop is the one I use 90% of the time......even though the difference in exposure is usually only 2 stops. Huh???........you say. Because of its larger size, 4x6......... I can slide the filter up or down more precisely and place the 2 stops of gradation where I need it. If I have very little sky and large FG...........I keep the clear part closer to the bottom of the lens.........thus making the ND part.........closer to 2 stops........near where it needs to be top off frame while the part that is 3.........is out of my view sticking up above the lens. Horizon more towards middle.........slide it down more.......who doesn't like clouds with more detail??? and a bit darker is OK. Make sense??

Harold Davis
08-04-2008, 01:36 PM
so in essence what you are trying to say is you can make a 3-stop filter a 2-stop filter by sliding it up a little bit?

thanks!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
so in essence what you are trying to say is you can make a 3-stop filter a 2-stop filter by sliding it up a little bit?

thanks!!
Yep!.......that definitely simplified my response. Now image the same scenario using the 2 stop filter......if you only have 1/3 of the frame sky.........it is only about a 1 stop in ND in actuality because you don't want the dark area too far down into the light FG ................so if the exposure is actually 2 stops difference.........Houston........we have a problem..............slap on the 3 stop....slid with t he clear all the way to bottom of lens.......viola!.........the 2 stops of ND is on the sky.

Maurice Allen
08-05-2008, 07:15 AM
I am in the market for a ND filter currently. I have the Cokin P filter holder and was thinking about the Singh Ray to fit the P system?

Robert Amoruso
08-05-2008, 08:25 AM
I am in the market for a ND filter currently. I have the Cokin P filter holder and was thinking about the Singh Ray to fit the P system?

The SR Galen Rowell GND filters are a good choice. Galen used the following:

2-stop soft edge
2-stop hard edge

3-stop hard edge
3-stop soft edge

I have the same gradients as well in the HiTech filters. I usually start out with a 2-stop in the early pre-dawn and as the sunrise gets stronger, go to the 3-stop. If it is a beach sunrise, the hard-edge is used. For horizons with trees, buildings, etc. the soft-edge is used.

Pretty much what Roman does. I confirmed with Roman, the SR filters are resin.

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2008, 09:48 AM

Hi Maurice,
Robert explained the use very well and they are excellent starting points. I do not own the hard edge..........but seascapes are perfect for this. Snow convered mtns (Rainier) at sunrise.....make at least 5 stops necessary. While the P series is fine for use............I find the flexibility of the larger size 4x6 much more user friendly. becuase of the larger size.........you can adjust where the gradation starts to taper on the horizon easier. I hand hold the filter in front of the lens 99% of the time for many reasons.........but #1 is to avoid the vignetting sometimes produced by the holders at wider settings......18mm and below based on film. It also saves time and needlessly spending $$$ on the holders. Unless you stack many filters........which is no longer as necessary as it used to be in film days...........you can avoid the holder all together.
If I had only 1 ND filter to choose........the soft edge, 3 stop Grad ND is the onlyone I would own. If you can afford more$$.......the same in a 2 stop.........and then down the list.
Hope this helps clarify a bit more.

Nancy A Elwood
08-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks all!! I have ordered a 2-stop and a 3-stop soft edge heading to The Tetons and Yellowstone in September, so I feel ready.

Maurice Allen
08-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Roman and Robert, Thanks for all of your good advise.

Julie Kenward
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys! I, too, have been thinking about purchasing a ND filter and now I think I know what to look for! Great advice!!!

Nancy A Elwood
08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I just got my 2-stop soft edge ND from Singh Ray and my 3-stop soft edge from Lee. They both came in VERY nice cases and such. I cannot wait to try them out!!. Thanks all for the help.

Maurice Allen
08-07-2008, 12:23 PM
I just ordered a Singh-Ray 3 stop soft edge per Roman's recommendation. I got the Cokin P size because I wasn't sure about holding the filter.

Maurice Allen
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Just changed my order to a "hard edge" as I feel it may suit my current needs better.

Bob Steer
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I use the Lee system and really like them. I have the filter holder as well as both the hard and soft graduated filter sets (.3,.6 &.9) I have tried the hand holding thing but find it less than ideal especially for landscapes as it is hard to keep the filter in the exact position for multiple shots. The filter holder allows you to double up on the filters if you like to add more stops if you like. The down side is the system is a little pricey but once you put in the initial outlay it will last a long time. You can get stepper rings to allow you to use the system with differing sized lenses.