I want some informations for Helgoland in Germany
Is a great place to photograph Gannets?
Which is the best season to go there?

I want to go there to photograph Gannets,
thanks for any info you can send me!

Manos

Axel Hildebrandt
08-02-2008, 12:10 PM
You could PM Alexander Koenders. He posted several gannets and guillemots that he just photographed on Helgoland.

Joerg Rockenberger
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Actually, I was just checking out Helgoland too and would be interested in more first hand info. Why not keep the info exchange on the board instead of PM so that others can learn too? Thanks, JR

Daniel Stenberg
08-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Iīm planing a trip to Helgoland next autumn. Itīs not going to be a trip to photograph gannets but to watch migrating passerines (and of course other birds, wich probably will include gannets), wich Helgoland is famuous for in the birding world (and the chance to se rare birds from the east). I have heard that the island is famous for itīs gannetry and I have seen many exellent photos of gannets that was made at Helgoland. The island is a popular place for germans on summer vacation so I donīt think accomodation is very hard to find. I belive that the easiest way to go to Helgoland i by boat wich departs from the city of Cuxhaven.

Good luck with your planning...

// Daniel

Manos Papadomanolakis
08-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Iīm planing a trip to Helgoland next autumn. Itīs not going to be a trip to photograph gannets but to watch migrating passerines (and of course other birds, wich probably will include gannets), wich Helgoland is famuous for in the birding world (and the chance to se rare birds from the east). I have heard that the island is famous for itīs gannetry and I have seen many exellent photos of gannets that was made at Helgoland. The island is a popular place for germans on summer vacation so I donīt think accomodation is very hard to find. I belive that the easiest way to go to Helgoland i by boat wich departs from the city of Cuxhaven.

Good luck with your planning...

// Daniel
Thanks Daniel for your informations!

Jasper Doest
08-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Helgoland is a nice place, well known for its migrating birds, seals and gannets. The gannets will be there from early spring...the problem with Helgoland is that it is a very popular tax-free area and many Germans spend there holidays over there...which makes the period after Easter rather expensive. If I were you I'd go there just before the Easter period. If you're interested in all kinds of migratory birds, seals and gannets it certainly is a nice place, that said, there are better places to photograph gannets. And also better places to photograph seals.

Manos Papadomanolakis
08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Helgoland is a nice place, well known for its migrating birds, seals and gannets. The gannets will be there from early spring...the problem with Helgoland is that it is a very popular tax-free area and many Germans spend there holidays over there...which makes the period after Easter rather expensive. If I were you I'd go there just before the Easter period. If you're interested in all kinds of migratory birds, seals and gannets it certainly is a nice place, that said, there are better places to photograph gannets. And also better places to photograph seals.
Thanks a lot Jasper:)

Markus Jais
08-15-2008, 05:50 PM
I was there in May and got some nice gannet shots. Make sure to stay overnight. the ships leave early in the afternoon.
In the evening and in the morning there are not so many people there and the light is of course much better.
I paid 23 Euros for one night.

A very good lens for Helgoland is a 4/300. I took a lot of flight shots of Gannets with that lens on my EOS 40D. The 4/500 is also good for birds perched on the rocks and for flight shots of smaller birds like the Fulmars.

Helgoland is also great for Kittiwakes, Lesser Black-backed Gulls and Northern Fulmars. Be sure to also visit the island next to the main island (5 minutes by boat, every hour or half hour), because there you can get got shots of Grey and Harbour Seals and some shorebirds like Oystercachers.

You also might want to visit the Katinger Watt in Spring. There I was able to get good shots of Artic Terns, Black-heaed Gulls and several shorebirds species. There are some hides which are open for the public and which are great for photographing waterbirds and shorebirds. We also got lucky with European Hares.

In the Kattinger Watt there is also a well known White-tailed Eagle pair. It was too far away to photograph but just watching those amazing birds is worth it. If you are lucky, you might get a shot of the eagle in flight.

The Katinger Watt is about 30 north of Büsum from where you can go to Helgoland.

Markus

Manos Papadomanolakis
08-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Thank a lot Markus for your time!

Markus Jais
08-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Thank a lot Markus for your time!

When you are in Germany, there are some other beautiful places like the Müritz National Park in the north east (fantastic old forests) or the wonderful Bayerischer Wald National Park which is very popular among photographers.

If you want more information about this, let just ask.

Markus

Christof Ruch
08-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi Manos,

I was on Helgoland in last year's July, and really liked it - the only drawback it was too hot for my taste (>30° C). But we heard from the islanders that this doesn't happen too often :-). Rather prepare for some wind and a bumpy ride over the North Sea.
Great flight photography because the bird rock is not too high, and the gannets nest until the very top of the cliff, so you can get pretty close.

What seems to be overlooked is that the same boat that goes from Cuxhaven actually leaves earlier that day in Hamburg, easily accessible by public transport from basically anywhere in the city. Here is the link to the ferry line: http://www.helgoline.de/. (http://www.helgoline.de/)
You get a nice ride down the Elbe river in addition, but this is smooth and Cuxhaven takes a while to get to even by car.

And yes, of course stay overnight - most tourists just go there for a day trip, and the island becomes really nice and quiet after approx 4 pm - not to mention the great sunset view from the top of the red cliffs they all miss out.

Enjoy, and if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Christof

P.S. It is such a popular tax free area that if you just ignore the hordes going there to get cheap cigarettes or alcohol, you will find that you can also buy photo equipment on the island - you can save the 19% German VAT. You would have to preorder at one of the stores, though, if you want something specific like a large lens.

Manos Papadomanolakis
08-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi Manos,

I was on Helgoland in last year's July, and really liked it - the only drawback it was too hot for my taste (>30° C). But we heard from the islanders that this doesn't happen too often :-). Rather prepare for some wind and a bumpy ride over the North Sea.
Great flight photography because the bird rock is not too high, and the gannets nest until the very top of the cliff, so you can get pretty close.

What seems to be overlooked is that the same boat that goes from Cuxhaven actually leaves earlier that day in Hamburg, easily accessible by public transport from basically anywhere in the city. Here is the link to the ferry line: http://www.helgoline.de/. (http://www.helgoline.de/)
You get a nice ride down the Elbe river in addition, but this is smooth and Cuxhaven takes a while to get to even by car.

And yes, of course stay overnight - most tourists just go there for a day trip, and the island becomes really nice and quiet after approx 4 pm - not to mention the great sunset view from the top of the red cliffs they all miss out.

Enjoy, and if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Christof

P.S. It is such a popular tax free area that if you just ignore the hordes going there to get cheap cigarettes or alcohol, you will find that you can also buy photo equipment on the island - you can save the 19% German VAT. You would have to preorder at one of the stores, though, if you want something specific like a large lens.
Thanks Christof for your informations and for your time:)

Hillebrand Breuker
11-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi there

I just read the post. If you want inexpensive accommodation you can book a room at the youth hostel. I'll try to find the details later. Helgoland is great fot migrating birds and seals

Grtz

Hillebrand

Manos Papadomanolakis
11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks Hillebrand!!!