PDA

View Full Version : Siam Tulip Detail

Amy DeStefanis
08-02-2008, 10:00 AM
A "Siam Tulip" from a bulb given to me as a gift. It's evidently a member of the ginger family, and isn't "really" a tulip.

It's finally blooming!

Shot from my new tripod I'm trying out - nice to be able to shoot macro at 1/50th....

Nikon D80
ISO 400
60mm Macro
1/50th @f/32

The top of the main bloom had some brown spots, so I cropped in a little to eliminate them. I didn't have any whites clipping, but I brought down the highlights a little from the original.

Thanks for your comments.

Amy D.

Richard Waas
08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow Amy, what a flower. I love the comp. and the DOF. Congrats on your new tripod. It does make a difference. Are there white spots on the purple tongue or did they show up upon sharpening?

Amy DeStefanis
08-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Are there white spots on the purple tongue or did they show up upon sharpening?

There are some white streaks on either side of the yellow part coming out of the tongue, but what you see as white spots are, I think the glittery reflection of the sun in the petal. It has a sparkly quality to it that I wanted to capture. I'm not sure what you would call it in botanical terms, but it is visible in the petal to the naked eye when the sun hits it.

Thanks for your comments.
Amy D.

Daniel Cadieux
08-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Are there white spots on the purple tongue or did they show up upon sharpening?

These same spots are there on the wild purple Irises I like to photograph.

Amy, I really like the dreamy "soft" feel to this. Very nice!

Arthur Morris
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
There is a good image within the posted image. Cropping in-camera would have been the way to go. Anyone wanna take a crack at the best crop?

Ed Vatza
08-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Very nice image Amy. I like it but I am a little confused by the image. It looks like an iris growing out of the another flower. But then of course, I am not familiar with the Siam Tulip.

Amy DeStefanis
08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi Ed,

This is all the same flower. There is a main Pink bloom that looks a lot like a tulip, and below it are these leaf-like folds from which bloom yet another flower. I think the bud on the pink bloom got a little sun-burnt before it started opening, so I made this version that concentrates on the purple flower, and cut out the damaged part of the main bloom.

I have another shot with more of the bloom on the "In Camera Techniques" forum.

Thanks for posting,
Amy