PDA

View Full Version : Rufous Hummingbird

Wally Nussbaumer
08-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Male Rufous turns and displays that this flower territory is his only, constantly chasing others away. Canon EOS 1DMKIII, Canon EF 100-400 f/5.6L. Bull River, British Columbia.

Fabs Forns
08-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Lovely BG and interesting behavior displayed. Nice and sharp, wish the frto wing was in another position in relation to your point of view and that you have used flash to light up the gorget.

Very nice image :)

Beth Goffe
08-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Such gorgeous color shades in this hummer! Is there a hint of the tip of his tongue sticking out of his bill? I at first thought the image may be more interesting if he were facing the flower but since you told us his story, I know he's defending it and that works. Congrats!

Wally Nussbaumer
08-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Thank you Fabs, flash was used, but at this angle one gets no relection from the gorget. I find the gorget on the Rufous very directional and you have to be in the ideal position to get the flash of orange/red even in bright sun. Getting the perfect wing position is pure luck! I am hooked on hummingbirds, their so neat!

Wally Nussbaumer
08-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Such gorgeous color shades in this hummer! Is there a hint of the tip of his tongue sticking out of his bill? I at first thought the image may be more interesting if he were facing the flower but since you told us his story, I know he's defending it and that works. Congrats!

Blowing up the tiff image I see no tongue, but I do see the beak is open a little at the end.

Glenda Simmons
08-02-2008, 07:55 PM
He almost appears to be giving a welcome gesture...but we know better. lol The meanest little flying machine that thinks he is the size of a Hawk.

I really like the pastels in the background. It compliments the the flower, and you certainly don't have control of the direction these little bullets fly. You did well getting him focused.

I too, am hooked on hummers!

Milo Burcham
08-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I too was wishing for him to be facing the flower unti reading your caption. Nice bit of natural history to cover