PDA

View Full Version : Intimate Loon moment

Mike Lentz
01-11-2008, 08:16 AM
I spend alot of time on the boat near these guys spring through mid summer and found an image that showed a story of intimacy between the family members. I cropped this two ways, one with more reeds left up top and less of the water on the bottom and this way... not sure if there is enough reflection in this shot to do it this way or not, so fire away. :)

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/82286071.jpg

Nikon D200 ~ Nikkor 300mm F/2.8 w/1.4x TC
F/8 ~ ISO 320 ~ - 1/3 EV ~ 1/640 sec ~

Axel Hildebrandt
01-11-2008, 08:21 AM
The interaction is very sweet. I like how the chick looks up and the adult bird seems to 'talk' to it. Well, there goes my anthropomorphism of the day. :) I would go for a slightly wider crop and if you clone I would get rid of the two blades of grass sticking out of the adult's head.

Lana Hays
01-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Mike
There is nothing more endearing that a loon and chick shot......such wonderful parents. There's probably several ways to crop this one but I'd be satisfied with this one as is. The interaction is terrific and I concentrate on that....rather ignoring everything else.

Linda Robbins
01-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Lovely intimate image and the chick's expression is priceless. This crop is great as presented, but I think it would also look good with more reeds on top and leaving the water below. The reeds behind the adult's head don't bother me at all. The exposure is a tad dark with some loss of detail in the blacks on the adult.

Linda

Jody Melanson
01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I agree with the others and would like to add there seems to be a slight halo around the adult's head. Also the adults eye looks a little weird to me....

I'm still waiting to get the baby on the back image. :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Loons are definitely wonderful to photograph and you have done a fine job Mike. I love the touching interaction between mother and baby and your tining was perfect to capture this. I agree with Linda about more reeds on top and everything else I like as posted. Thanks for sharing Mike.

Steve Foss
01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Great capture, Mike. That youngster looks like a teen with its hair mussed up just getting out of bed. A perfect moment well expressed.

I probably would prefer a crop with more bulrushes, but that's just me. A little tweak in shadows/highlights will take care of the lack of detail in the blacks.

Glenn Bartley
01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Very cute. Id take some off of the left and bottom.

Ian McHenry
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
For a book of bird shots for bird ID purposes I'd say spot on.
For me I prefer an all round wider crop.
Beautiful capture.

Mike Lentz
01-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I like the feedback, I didn't even think about cloning out those two reeds and I completely agree! I also agree that it is a bit dark, the light was from the left and it left me with a challenge. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. :)

Maxis Gamez
01-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Gorgeous image. Very intimate!!

Steve Roman
01-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Nice moment Mike, would take some off the bottom and bring some back on the right if you have it.

Mike Lentz
01-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks Maxis & steve for your feedback.